How to make it as a dj? :)

discodown yeah i get what ur sayin, i suppose i come across the wrong way. what i meant by my 15 min of fame was that to get gigs my name needs to be out there. yeah i may be a wannabe now but im doing all i can. i must be doin something right i have my own online radio that has regular viewer. my cds are on itunes. if you read my first post it started as a hobby. of course i love music of course i want to let people hear my music, im not just in it for the money/fame/women. i got my woman. i dnt appreciate the flaming you dont know me.ive worked hard to get where im at and will continue to do so...
I'm not flaming you. I'm giving you honest truthful advice. I don't know you so why would I flame you? But saying you want 15 minutes of fame makes you sound like Peaches Geldof.

Next thing is we need to hear a mix. What do you sound like?

tjc1 air ever fri sat and sun from 9pm, until well... last weekend i was still playingat 6.30am hahaa http://www.mashupradio.com.listen2myradio.com also if you check soundcloud out i have 2 mixes on there one uploaded ten min ago (see above) and a hardcore one. i have many more but my internet connection is **** poor, it took 45 min to upload the dubstep mix haha.

discodown the link is up for a couple of my mixes and also my radio station tune in!!!! sorry for being an arse dude im a bit stressed at the moment haha no hard feelings......

Produce music, make a name for yourself and be successful with it and DJing gigs will come with that.

:) have you tried producing music i did one track and it took me nearly a week to get it perfect!! all in all the tune must have took me 3 weeks haha!!!

Just a question what equipment are you using ?? i do a lil bit of djing and dont think im too good its a hobby at the minute but if i can get my hands on some proper equipment i would like to do parties.

i have a hercules rmx,2x pioneer cdj, 2xtechnics decks (vinyl) programs for laptop dj studio.

for broadcasting- sam broadcaster. hope that helps mate

:) have you tried producing music i did one track and it took me nearly a week to get it perfect!! all in all the tune must have took me 3 weeks haha!!!

You wanted to know how to make it, now dubstep's not my thing but in the areas of EDM that I do know well it's very rare for a DJ to get anywhere via mixing skills alone. It depends where you set your sights though, if you think DJing at a student union and the odd bar every week is making it then you dont need my advice you need to network and get your face and music around town.

It used to be ok to just play good tunes, these days it's far more than that if you really want to be successful. I've a lot of friends who you might say are successful DJs in the north west (promote and play regular club nights, radio work etc) although I wouldnt necessarily say they've made it as most of them have other jobs to go back to during the week and they're not yet names on the national scene.

3 weeks is nothing btw if you want to make a name for yourself or money out of something, how much time have you spent learning how to mix properly? If that's your attitude to a potential career you've no chance.

Hi wrig,

I'd suggest getting yourself a website and make sure you have all the key words linked in search engines, then tweak things so that your you tube vids link into to such as a google account that will direct to your site where they can learn more about you.

What you are doing/wanting is totally different to what I do, as I'm a mainstream pop DJ which incorporates mic work, not what you want, however I do it for a living and have done for 32 years with last 23 years as a self employed business.

Good luck in your venture, it's not easy especially in what you are wanting to achieve as in this day and age there is so much young talent in your field, bit sadly not enough venues to cater for you all.

Problem you will face with Pub function rooms is the minority who give those who want to enjoy your kind of music a bad name, with problems they cause, which is a shame when people like yourself are trying to get out there.

Good luck!

Archived