40% Higher Rate Income Tax for earning £35k

This seems really unfair.People would be better off on benefits at this rate,I am so glad that I am emigrating at the end of the year.

If that was how the tax system worked, then it would be unfair. But it isn't, so it's not!

Where on earth is the incentive for people to work hard and do well in this country?

The harder you try, the more you get screwed.

No matter what you earn, I believe that tax deductions should be the same percentage for everyone. As a higher earner you'd still pay more but in line with everyone else. I think it's disgusting.

There's no wonder we have so many lazy lay abouts.

We've always used tax bands.

The current system is something along the lines of

0-7k = 0% tax,

7k-40k = 20% tax

40k-100k = 40% tax

100k + = 50% tax

but the tax is progressive - if you earn 60k you would be taxed 7k at 0%, 33k at 20% and 20k at 40%. Not 40% on the total.

(figures are approx)

I think the 40% starts at 37200..at the moment anyway..

A business that has a turnover of £68,000 can pay no VAT.

A business that has a turnover of £71,000 is expected to pay £14,200 in VAT.

So if you are a sole trader selling your labour, what is the incentive to expand beyond £69,999 because you would need to increase your turnover to almost £85,000 to earn an extra penny. That's an awful lot of hedges to cut.

A business that has a turnover of £68,000 can pay no VAT.

A business that has a turnover of £71,000 is expected to pay £14,200 in VAT.

So if you are a sole trader selling your labour, what is the incentive to expand beyond £69,999 because you would need to increase your turnover to almost £85,000 to earn an extra penny. That's an awful lot of hedges to cut.

A VAT registered business will charge their customers VAT, they will also recoup the VAT they spent on purchases.

Incidentally, now would be a good time to remind thread-reading taxpayers concerned by this development, that -for those concerned, and many (most?) in that tax bracket will be- there is also the small matter of the NI contribution increasing by 1% and the extra NI contribution rate doubling in April 2012, and the withdrawal of the child allowance in April 2013.

For now.

Archived