40% Higher Rate Income Tax for earning £35k

I wounldn't have been so stupid to sell a load of gold at the bottom of the market like your idol though. :)

Indeed. You don't need to be good at maths to understand politics. However it is an advantage if you are Chancellor.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

From the BBC:

"The new threshold at which you start paying the 40% rate will be £35,001 of taxable income. This is in addition to your personal allowance. Taking this into account, you will pay the higher rate on earnings from £42,476".

So if your salary is £35k you will not be above the threshold. I think some of the posts on here are misleading in that respect. It was enough to confuse me anyway!

• 2 months later...
Perhaps the problem is that if you have to charge the customer an additional £14,200 in VAT, the customer goes elsewhere.

This is the problem we face. Once you have to start charging VAT, the customer goes elsewhere to a company that can offer the product at a cheaper rate...

It's a weird system and it really does benefit the non-VAT registered (Ebay sellers, small set up companies, etc).

They can sell part time to pay for a holiday a year while the rest of us have to struggle to compete.

Doesn't the higher tax only apply to the amount over the threshold? So if you earned 35,500 you'd only pay 40% on the extra 500? (which was already being taxed at 20% anyway)

Yes, of course it does.

Someone earning 35k will pay nothing at 40% and will pay 35k - 7.5k (the personal allowance) at 20%

Archived