New police powers for gangs

i so on the bbc news this morning about the new powers that the police have got today concerning gangs.the government want the police to take the gang colours of anyone who is in a gang and tell them that they are not allowed to talk to other gang members.what a load of tosh like this is going to happen.if u tell a gang member not go into another neibourhood they will do it,if the police remove the gang colours they will go and get another one.this will only apply to gang members over 18 years of age the stats say most gang are 15 yr olds.what planet are the government on.:loopy::loopy:

two former gang members from sheffield said the same thing as i have posted.how can this be policed.its tipical govewrnment nonsence.yes the gangs should be caught and locked up but for every gang member that is cought there will be another one that is recruted.

You're right they shouldn't bother trying to do anything about gangs then should they? It's not like they a problem or owt. They don't carry knifes and guns or traffic drugs or anything like that. They should be left be.

You think trite measures like the ones proposed are going to work, do you?

As kal el points out, it's targeting the wrong age group and it has also been reported that breaching the injunctions won't trigger a criminal sanction. So what happens when they're breached? Does a Tory give them a nasty look or summat?

Looking for quick, easy answers to the problem is the road to failure. I'm pleased SY police are likely to have taken some unpleasant people out of circulation in their latest operation but to talk of 'ridding the streets of drugs' as they did is just pathetic. In a year or so's time there'll be no drugs, right? And whilst selling drugs might well be a part of gang culture, we've had drug dealing for a lot longer than gang culture, so they are two separate issues. I'm afraid the roots of the gang culture are social; absent fathers, poverty, poor educational attainment, an increasingly atomised society. A law 'n' order gimmick will get nowhere. Taking the axe to the public services which provide some level of intervention in these problems (family intervention projects, youth services, youth offending teams) is only going to make it worse.

As kal el points out, it's targeting the wrong age group and it has also been reported that breaching the injunctions won't trigger a criminal sanction. So what happens when they're breached? Does a Tory give them a nasty look or summat?

Looking for quick, easy answers to the problem is the road to failure. I'm pleased SY police are likely to have taken some unpleasant people out of circulation in their latest operation but to talk of 'ridding the streets of drugs' as they did is just pathetic. In a year or so's time there'll be no drugs, right? And whilst selling drugs might well be a part of gang culture, we've had drug dealing for a lot longer than gang culture, so they are two separate issues. I'm afraid the roots of the gang culture are social; absent fathers, poverty, poor educational attainment, an increasingly atomised society. A law 'n' order gimmick will get nowhere. Taking the axe to the public services which provide some level of intervention in these problems (family intervention projects, youth services, youth offending teams) is only going to make it worse.

no doubt cameron will hug a thuggie druggie :hihi::hihi::hihi:

at last someone who speaks sence

At the end of the day, would you prefer something to be done or nothing to be done. It doesn't sound like a lot, and maybe it isn't, but you seem to be forgetting that even if the police think somebody is in a gang and might be carrying a knife/gun/drugs or whatever, unless they have reasonable grounds they can't search them.

Now if a gang member knows that if he's wearing gang colours, going into an area he's been banned from or meeting somebody he shouldn't, he's going to attract police attention who could then could probably form grounds to search him for breaching the injunction, even if weapons aren't found it will deter them from carrying.

You're taking it as face value when the fact is, if it wasn't going to be useful it wouldn't have been brought in. Do you not think that the law makers liaise with the police in any form to discuss what they need.

If you have any better ideas why don't you join the police/council/government.

Archived