Do you think Britain should keep out of the affairs of other nations?

That isn't relevant to your quote.

Even you admitted "Now we have been sucked into a civil war in Afghanistan", which clearly means you understand that "the west" wasn't there at the beginning.

Is "The Beginning" the first British 19th century invasion, or the Soviet one? Afghans fight each other, it's tribal, but if their country is invaded they place aside enmity and take up arms shoulder by shoulder.

When do you imagine the civil war began in Afghanistan?

You seem, with all your arguments to be missing a fact. Unlike Iraq Afghanistan is a NATO operation. Britain isn't the only country other than the US involved. Germany, France and some former Warsaw pact countries have troops there, even the Japanese.

While I love your people, I don't forget that your government were sat picking their arses waiting to see which way the hammer would fall between 1939 and 1941 so don't you dare lecture me on what your country did for mine. You were late for the <REMOVED> war, my Grandmother could tell you more about the war than you could reference on Wikipedia.

That post only serves to compound your apparent total ignorance of the situation in the US at the time the war started.

It's understandable you dont know much about the history of America in the first half of the 20th century but you only serve to make yourself look silly by posting this kind of stuff

Is "The Beginning" the first British 19th century invasion, or the Soviet one? Afghans fight each other, it's tribal, but if their country is invaded they place aside enmity and take up arms shoulder by shoulder.

You seem, with all your arguments to be missing a fact. Unlike Iraq Afghanistan is a NATO operation. Britain isn't the only country other than the US involved. Germany, France and some former Warsaw pact countries have troops there, even the Japanese.

Quite, and going back to spindrift's post:

"Once UN inspectors were in Iraq, failing to find weapons of mass destruction, Saddam Hussein knew the game was up and promised elections within two years but, of course, we now know that the timetable for war was already set, sending a very clear message to Iran to scramble for nuclear capability in order to avoid a similar fate. Before the war Iraq was the most secular country of the Middle East and was clear of Al Qu’aida , who were then, of course, able to regroup in Afghanistan, where they were originally armed by the US against the Russians. Now we have been sucked into a civil war in Afghanistan where we are destabilising Pakistan which does have weapons of mass destruction..."

So, not so long back (this evening) "originally" was when the Russians entered Afghanistan...

...but now it suits the argument for "originally" ("The Beginning") to be the 19th century...

...before which Afghanistan was obviously an absolute utopia of peacefulness.

Funny how yet again, the facts seem to be ignored.

While I love your people, I don't forget that your government were sat picking their arses waiting to see which way the hammer would fall between 1939 and 1941 so don't you dare lecture me on what your country did for mine. You were late for the <REMOVED> war, my Grandmother could tell you more about the war than you could reference on Wikipedia.

Amen to that.

All 4 of my Grandparents served, both grans and grandads met in their respective theatres(north africa on one side and RAF Lancaster bases around the UK on the other) and they didn't wait for the Nazis to declare war on them before getting stuck in.

The eventual American contribution to the war was and is appreciated, the idea that it was the most important or indeed the most morally driven is laughable.

NATO is in Afghanistan because the UN asked it to take over. Blame the presence of troops on the UN.

This list may not be entirely up to date but a few more countries than the US and the UK (and indeed, a few non-NATO countries) are involved.

United States 29,820

United Kingdom 8300

Germany 3640

Canada 2830

France 2780

Italy 2350

Netherlands 1770

Poland 1590

Australia 1090

Romania 900

Spain 780

Denmark 700

Turkey 690

Czech Rep 580

Croatia 530

Norway 490

Bulgaria 470

Belgium 405

Hungary 370

Sweden 265

Lithuania 200

Macedonia 170

Latvia 160

New Zealand 150

Albania 140

...So, not so long back (this evening) "originally" was when the Russians entered Afghanistan...

...but now it suits the argument for "originally" ("The Beginning") to be the 19th century...

...before which Afghanistan was obviously an absolute utopia of peacefulness.

Funny how yet again, the facts seem to be ignored.

Girls at Kabul university attended in mini skirts under the old communist Najibullah.

Again, you were clearly referring to "before" the British Empire, let alone the Russian protectorate...

...and yet now, you prefer the Soviet system to the Taliban one?

Do you think Britain should keep out of the affairs of other nations and just give asylum to refugees if needed?

Many British soldiers' lives would be saved, it could be argued that it's one thing dying for one's own country and another dying for someone else's:(

no .we have enough as it is.

Archived