Have you written a book?

I have written several. I have also reviewed many book proposals for leading publishers. If you are asking about how to get a book published, you should first remember that the book trade is a business. You should therefore devote a lot of effort to the presentation of your proposal, from a business perspective. You should for example consider what is the likely market for the book; are there any similar books on the market?; what are your credentials for writing it?; what is the likely word length?, etc You should also where possible send a specimen chapter or chapters (unless you have a good track record or are well known, in which case a back of an envelope might suffice). I have often been surprised by the poor quality of some proposals sent to publishers: these are likely to be rejected out of hand. Also, remember to do some research into types of publisher beforehand, to make sure that a specific publishing house has a track record in publishing in your area of interest.

Thread here from a local woman who has self published - seems to contain some sound advice.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=425657&highlight=fleur+de+lys

OOh, don't call it 'self publishing' it's a proper publishing company, don't you know...

There is a very very helpful writing section of the Sheffield Forum here which will give you lots of great advice.

OOh, don't call it 'self publishing' it's a proper publishing company, don't you know...

There is a very very helpful writing section of the Sheffield Forum here which will give you lots of great advice.

It is self-publishing. Writing a work and then setting up a company to publish it is self-publishing in my book (pardon the pun). Some might even call it vanity-publishing

I have a blog called How Publishing Really Works, which might help you a bit: there should be a link in my signature.

And with all due respect to The White Rose, her blog about self-publishing is full of misinformation and mistakes. I would not advise anyone to follow her advice, even though I rather like her in real life.

Archived