The future of Sheffield's Libraries - Megathread

fox20thc

I guess that you would have to regard it as a social service, not just a book-lending service per se.

Indeed, and people presumably use the mobile library because they have difficulty getting out and about generally, so it's probably a valuable piece of social contact - a social service.

Looking at the Doncaster figures they appear to have one vehicle and one and a bit staff so my assessment seems comparable.

There's lots of understandable objections but can somebody suggest a sensible working alternative?

Looking at the Doncaster figures they appear to have one vehicle and one and a bit staff so my assessment seems comparable.

There's lots of understandable objections but can somebody suggest a sensible working alternative?

You estimated £100 000 per vehicle; the spreadsheet for Doncaster suggests an annual cost for one vehicle of £30-40 000. How is that comparable? You have over-estimated the costs 2-3 fold! Do you work for George Osborne by any chance?

I have used libraries since the age of about 8.

Iam nw 74 and library books are now brought to me as I have difficulty getting to my local one

Once every 3 weeks two librarians visit me and leave a selection of books.

My quality of life would be the worse if this service was stopped.

In the last 5 years I have used my local library for--

Creative writting classes, Readers group, Chairobics, Computer when needed, Photo copying etc.

I was given confidence at creative writing classes to branch out into having work published, one of which was a poem about sheffield libraries. If it helps your campaigne you are welcome to use it.

hazel

PeteM01, look at my calcs - which incidentally, I am very happy for you to correct if you have better information.

Doncaster's spreadsheet is rather muddled but you seem to have completely misread it as their 10/11 mobile library budget is £171,380, not £30k-£40k. They seem to have one vehicle and some other travelling services but I don't have time to investigate further.

For Sheffield I assumed 4 vehicles working a 5 day week less bank holidays. Just the costs for 2.5 staff on each vehicle (to cover H&S and holidays) exceeds your figure.

Please feel free to come back with better info' if you have it.

PeteM01, look at my calcs - which incidentally, I am very happy for you to correct if you have better information.

Doncaster's spreadsheet is rather muddled but you seem to have completely misread it as their 10/11 mobile library budget is £171,380, not £30k-£40k. They seem to have one vehicle and some other travelling services but I don't have time to investigate further.

For Sheffield I assumed 4 vehicles working a 5 day week less bank holidays. Just the costs for 2.5 staff on each vehicle (to cover H&S and holidays) exceeds your figure.

Please feel free to come back with better info' if you have it.

I agree the spreadsheet is very confusing. Doncaster have a mobile library comparable with Sheffield's and a separate travelling service that calls at individual houses and so is much more expensive than the mobile service. The mobile service is £30-40 000 per vehicle and not the £100 000 per vehicle that you guessed.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Leisure_in_Doncaster/Libraries/Mobile_and_Home_Library_Service/Travelling_Library.asp

Surrey spends approx £70k a year on each of its 5 mobile libraries and 1 residential home service (total ££446,000)

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Mobile-libraries-facing-chop/article-3173787-detail/article.html

I think there's a danger of falling into knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. If you split the cost of things like mobile libraries between the number of taxpayers, it actually costs very little to keep services going, compared to huge sums of money being spent elsewhere.

Archived