The future of Sheffield's Libraries - Megathread

fox20thc

Sheffield City Council banned an event at Hillsborough Library because it was too political and banned Radio Sheffield from recording an item in a Sheffield Library. Please don't attend the Shh-in at the central library on Saturday at 11am in case it upsets the Council again. :rolleyes:

Sheffield City Council banned an event at Hillsborough Library because it was too political and banned Radio Sheffield from recording an item in a Sheffield Library. Please don't attend the Shh-in at the central library on Saturday at 11am in case it upsets the Council again. :rolleyes:

What kind of event? And it was actually banned? Very interesting... I presume things cannot happen in the premises but can be done outside? Not that I'm advocating anything...

Hope so. It's very important. Thread also here....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=714937

Great idea about borrowing all the books.:hihi:

Not so great for those who use their local library regularly and find the shelves stripped by one-off protesters.

It's all a bit futile really, politicians don't listen to the people - they do as they're told by the executive and the accountants.

What kind of event? And it was actually banned? Very interesting... I presume things cannot happen in the premises but can be done outside? Not that I'm advocating anything...

I asked this on the thread about political bias yesterday and didn't get a reply.

I have a feeling that the only person who used the word "banned" was the author of the site in question, in the headline to no doubt stir.

I asked this on the thread about political bias yesterday and didn't get a reply.

I have a feeling that the only person who used the word "banned" was the author of the site in question, in the headline to no doubt stir.

A quote from the Star

"A Sheffield Council spokeswoman confirmed the event would not proceed.

She said: “We understood they wanted to hold a workshop event in a library which would celebrate libraries and be part of their campaign against cuts.

“When councillors haven’t made any decisions about funding for libraries in the coming year, it would not be appropriate to hold an event like this in a library."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/bard_barred_from_sheffield_library_join_the_debate_1_3033135

Libraries were great once, when they were the central store of information. Times change though, and I understand why the number of people using them has fallen so much, do we really need so many today as we did back 10 / 20 years ago?

Yes, things have changed and librarians are debating the most cost effective way of delivering the service so perhaps we don't need so many branch libraries. Bit as for the "decline" in usage. People will stop using a poor quality service but build a new library or refurbish one then usage leaps. Also many people now use libraries on-line. You can consult high quality reference material on line from Sheffield Libraries and in some areas people were using libraries on-line on Christmas day to download e-books to their new iPads! They are still a central store for quality information. You can get a million + hits on Google for a subject but how much of that is reliable and how do you tell the difference?

As Blackbeard shows, this event was "banned" by Sheffield City Council. It was to have been a creative writing workshop with no propaganda - the sort of thing libraries do which may go if libraries are cut. The council have not reached a decision on cuts so why can't the people of Sheffield debate the issue?

Is that "banned" and in "not actually banned" ?

It's great that the library staff want to be positive in their campaign rather than negative but they really should be careful that they don't allow their single issue to be hijacked. Getting political campaigners to come inside a library for the first time in their life and empty the shelves isn't too bright, especially when people like me actually use the libraries and the books therein.

If it was just a creative writing workshop with a poet at a library that isn't under threat of closure why did somebody think it was going to become political? There must have been a reason. What was it?

Archived