The future of Sheffield's Libraries - Megathread

fox20thc

Good to see that the libraries are so well used. Crystal Peaks library is very popular!

I'm also surprised to see my little local library (Ecclesall) is second only to the Central Library in numbers of books lent out at 270,000.

I have used the local studies library and archives over the past couple of years.

Until you use these services you can not appreciate the depth of knowledge and professionalism of their staff. They have always been very helpfull in person, phone or email and their knowledge has opened up areas of research I was previously ignorant of.

The material they hold is priceless.

They are a most important and valuable resource which we can not afford to lose.

The problem with libraries is that they are failing to meet the needs of any target market.

My sisters are 15 and they would not think of using the local library as a resource, especially when they have the internet at home and in the classroom.

I was sat in a restaurant and overheard adults arguing that young people don't bother to read anymore and that's why the libraries are going, and that is true.

Libraries need to evolve. They need to rebrand and become multimedia centres that offer people the chance to read, but also get online and research.

Sheffield's central library has a significant section dedicated to the internet services it provides, but the feel is so dated and the means to access the services so cumbersome that you end up leaving frustrated.

I know there isn't the funding, but if they were transformed and schools were also encouraged to direct their students to a public library, then the life could be breathed back into what is currently an out-dated service that is in severe decline.

If he is really concerned about books not being available in libraries then he must admit that the greatest threat comes from cutting the library budget by £2.5m pounds and not from supporters of libraries exercising their right to borrow what they want.

But they didn't borrow what they want! You actively encouraged them to borrow their full quota of books and take what they can.

Maybe you could outline the qualifications needed to be a librarian. People may have access to a wide variety of materials but how many actually utilise these services? If they are not being utilised then they are susceptible to being cut.

Bottom line - what is your alternative? I'm yet to hear one. Save money and preserve the full library service - I'm waiting to hear it.

Libraries need to evolve. They need to rebrand and become multimedia centres that offer people the chance to read, but also get online and research.

Evolve. The key word.

Put in a coffee machine. Self service so no staff needed. Have seats and chairs in little coffee area.

Create meeting rooms. Would encourage school children on project work and also local businesses. Rent out larger rooms to private tutors, business seminars etc.

Have a 'hot desk' area renting out space to small businesses. Stick in phone lines and internet (own private area within building).

Photocopying areas. Sell photocopy cards.

Loads of options. A not for profit could run all this, employ volunteer staff and make enough money to redistribute to certain projects.

Maybe you could outline the qualifications needed to be a librarian.

A good undergraduate degree and a postgraduate librarianship qualification, usually an MA.

Some places will let you study for that while you work as a library assistant*, but librarianship is very much a professional career. Absolutely not something that can be done by unpaid volunteers.

That you were not aware of this perhaps casts a light on how seriously we should take your suggestions for library reform.

* Library assistants earn between 10 and 13k pa. Gotta love that public sector gravy train, eh?

That you were not aware of this perhaps casts a light on how seriously we should take your suggestions for library reform.

So all the library workers in Sheffield have a degree and a MA?

How many library assistants are there without degrees?

So someone working with academic journals at Central gets the same as someone stamping Jilly Cooper books in Tinsley?

I think we have to sit down and identify which libraries need which calibre of staff in order to full discuss the plan. Volunteers are the way forward if you want the FULL service without any reductions.

What is your alternative though? You oppose the cuts, suggest another way then.

Can't you get all the information you need from the Internet?

Got to be easier than going into town, looking for the book etc... and then...

1) finding its been lent out

2) its out of date

etc....

If you type in any subject into a search engine such as "birds" you will get every bit of info about every bird in less than a second.

Did you know that the average lifespan of a wasp is 40 days?

Archived