The future of Sheffield's Libraries - Megathread

fox20thc

The problem with libraries is that they are failing to meet the needs of any target market.

My sisters are 15 and they would not think of using the local library as a resource, especially when they have the internet at home and in the classroom.

That's a problem in itself though because the internet isn't a recognised credible source at university (unless its an online journal or book).

I see students just go onto Wiki for their references and they and the teachers just look blank when you say its not a credible resource, and they go onto uni to find the way they've been taught is wrong.

I'm a respected academic but even I can't help a bit of Wikifiddling now and again! :)

That's as may be, but you understand I didn't make up those entry requirements out of thin air, right?

People with a much better understanding of how libraries actually work than either of us decided that that level of training was required to do the job properly. I don't think you're really in a position to say whether librarians need qualifications or not, do you?

I look forward to your argument that all surgeons really need is a Grey's Anatomy box set and a steady hand.

My view is that librarianship is like many other professions. Many of the tasks do not need high qualifications but these qualifications are necessary to have a full and in depth knowledge of the particular area the profession deals with.

As I have posted before through use of the library and archive I appreciate the great source of information the staff are.

My mum and youngest brother went to join our local library on Saturday to find it wasn't open on Saturdays. I was quite shocked to hear this - surely if they want to get as many people using it as possible they would be open at weekends which is often the only time people get chance to go?

In addition, does anyone know if a mobile library still runs? I remember using the one at the top of Woodholme Road for years as a child although its probably not necessary anymore with the opening of Ecclesall Library.

Yes, the mobile library service runs 5 vehicles that stop in about 200 locations that allow folk who can't easily access a static library to have access to books. They visit schools, nurseries, and residential homes as well as providing a library service at both rural and urban locations that aren't close to a library, in some cases because they were closed in previous cutbacks. The details of the stops are available on the council libraries website, but otherwise it's one of the best kept secrets in Sheffield. Because of previous cutbacks, the service operates on a shoestring with dedicated staff who are relatively low-paid and with old vehicles. One of the vans is 18 years old. The current cutbacks will probably reduce the service even further. Most of the staff have elected to have no pay rise for the next couple of years, to try to keep the service going.

What they do according to http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/library_information_assistant_job_description.jsp

A typical day from http://www.myjobsearch.com/careers/librarian.html

The above is a lot more than stamping, filing and shushing but it certainly doesn't sound like a job that requires a degree except (maybe) at senior management levels. It does sound like it can be quite fulfilling, especially the contact with users.

Then again, most jobs which are only open to graduates don't actually need a degree to do. The degrees necessary to pass the interview, but the actual tasks in the job don't need a degree.

It's a common complaint from employers that, in certain careers, the abilities of graduates who've spent 3-5 years studying the subject, are dismally low, and they (the employers) would much prefer an apprenticeship system.

That's a seperate issue of course, but my point is that librarianship is far from unusual in being a job that

certainly doesn't sound like a job that requires a degree except (maybe) at senior management levels

Yes, the mobile library service runs 5 vehicles that stop in about 200 locations that allow folk who can't easily access a static library to have access to books. They visit schools, nurseries, and residential homes as well as providing a library service at both rural and urban locations that aren't close to a library, in some cases because they were closed in previous cutbacks. The details of the stops are available on the council libraries website, but otherwise it's one of the best kept secrets in Sheffield. Because of previous cutbacks, the service operates on a shoestring with dedicated staff who are relatively low-paid and with old vehicles. One of the vans is 18 years old. The current cutbacks will probably reduce the service even further. Most of the staff have elected to have no pay rise for the next couple of years, to try to keep the service going.

Thats good to hear - I remember it being a fantastic source for me and my brother when we were growing up. Such a shame it might not be for much longer.

I thought that not 'coping with change' was a characteristic of Asperger's Syndrome? You don't seem very sympathetic...

Please clarify.

Having AS myself I have had to get used to change although it hasnt been easy.

I am not sure though what this thread has to do with Asperger Syndrome.

That's as may be, but you understand I didn't make up those entry requirements out of thin air, right?

People with a much better understanding of how libraries actually work than either of us decided that that level of training was required to do the job properly. I don't think you're really in a position to say whether librarians need qualifications or not, do you?

I look forward to your argument that all surgeons really need is a Grey's Anatomy box set and a steady hand.

I am though in a position to say how libraries are run, or at least have some influence over it as a tax payer and of course as such I am entitled just like you to post my opinions freely on an open Forum.

Did librarians always needed qualifications, even in the 'Golden Age' of public libraries when they were a primary source of information for most people?

There's absolutely no intention of belittling the sterling work done by library workers but it seems to be a fair question. I was under the impression that library workers caretake the availability of information provided by others rather than providing the information themselves.

Did librarians always needed qualifications, even in the 'Golden Age' of public libraries when they were a primary source of information for most people?

There's absolutely no intention of belittling the sterling work done by library workers but it seems to be a fair question. I was under the impression that library workers caretake the availability of information provided by others rather than providing the information themselves.

Degree-qualified librarians do a lot more 'behind the scenes', i.e. directing the service. It is the library assistants who generally provide the service at the desk, keep the shelves stocked, read to children, facilitate the internet usage, teach folk how to use it, and so on, as well as a lot of background work including some managerial stuff (Building management, accounting, security, cleaning, maintaining statistics, ..... )

Even so, library assistants need to be trained, but not to the level of a qualified librarian. Those with years of experience can help you find what you are looking for in terms of accessing the library stock and so on, as well as dealing with all sorts of odd requests that library users come up with!

Many of Sheffield's library assistants are very experienced and not, by any means, highly paid.

So all the library workers in Sheffield have a degree and a MA?

How many library assistants are there without degrees?

So someone working with academic journals at Central gets the same as someone stamping Jilly Cooper books in Tinsley?

I think we have to sit down and identify which libraries need which calibre of staff in order to full discuss the plan. Volunteers are the way forward if you want the FULL service without any reductions.

What is your alternative though? You oppose the cuts, suggest another way then.

All the local libraries carry books for reference, and serious study.

as for example, subjects such as. History, Travel,Sciences,Medical,

Hobbies,Biograpnies, Large Print books in both Novels and Biographies,

CDs/DVDs, andInternet access.

All these in addition to Fiction, which would probably include the

odd Jilly Cooper book you seem so obsessed with.

Surely at a time when high unemployment is forecast, we should be

increasing the availability of libraries,not cutting back.

Archived