Cheap wine. Cheap booze. Would you buy it?

A few days ago I was in a supermarket looking to buy some wine. All of a sudden I came across some wine that was about a pound cheaper than anything else. Then I looked at the label and it said "British Red Wine"....

Come on, give me a break. This is wine made from grape concentrate, pretty much like the wine kits they sell in home brew shops, and probably barely fit to drink.

Who buys this stuff? I'm all for cut price quality wine, but not low quality wine sold cheap.

Its the White Lightning of the wine world. Hopefully a minimum unit price for alcohol will get this muck of the shelves.

A few days ago I was in a supermarket looking to buy some wine. All of a sudden I came across some wine that was about a pound cheaper than anything else. Then I looked at the label and it said "British Red Wine"....

Come on, give me a break. This is wine made from grape concentrate, pretty much like the wine kits they sell in home brew shops, and probably barely fit to drink.

Who buys this stuff? I'm all for cut price quality wine, but not low quality wine sold cheap.

Its the White Lightning of the wine world. Hopefully a minimum unit price for alcohol will get this muck of the shelves.

I agree with a lot you say - especially the "British Wine" (as oppossed to some English wines which are rather good and constantly improving).

Not too happy the way things are going in France either - if someone is selling, for example, a Cahors or a Bergerac I know pretty much what to expect - with the recent "Vin de France" appelation I'm a lot less sure.

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/483338/vins-de-france-will-be-like-coca-cola-anivin

I like cheap wine! :blush:

I've never heard of what you described, but stuff like Blossom Hill is often 3 bottles for £10 and thats perfectly nice (in my opinion anyway)

My Dad makes his own wine with home grown blackberries like you described - I think it's delicious! It's like alcoholic Ribena... :hihi:

If it is labled as British Red Wine, it's not made from grapes grown in this country. However, English wine is on the up and you can get some nice stuff.

I think finding cheap wine that tastes nice is hard, but I drink that much red wine that It's a necessity.

Long Slif from Chile is good and it's only £3:59 from the CoOp

Archived