Steel factory in the 40's

Bubba

My mother worked at Skeltons (1945/50). When I finished at school my friend (LF) and I used to walk from Prospct View alongside the River Sheaf, towards Skelly's Bridge. Up above us were windows. From the windows my Mum and friends lowered goodies, on a string. Perhaps a sandwich or bun or biscuit. Those days a real treat, taking into account rationing.

Thank you for that very interesting information especially regarding the non-magnetic alloys.

I have often thought about how the problem was solved and I never knew the answer. I frequently past the works sign at one time. I would think that Comet or Halfords on Queens Road, Sheffield. Now occupy the land where the works was.

No, the other dide of Skellys Bridge, over the river.

• 1 year later...
To JB of Dore

I have read with great interest your thread re Skeltons. I am descended from Charles' sister Elizabeth and would be very interested to have any information you might have about the family and the factory. I happened to go past it on the train last week and spotted it for the first time - there is a 'To Let' board on the side, I hope it doesn't get demolished. It was clearly Skeltons though.

I have just joined the forum in order to reply so do please get in touch.

Hello Vindiva,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, this is not a page I browse very often so only just picked up your message.

I don't think I can offer much more as I did not work at the company although I used to visit from time to time many years ago when my Grandfather was Chairman & Managing Director & my Father was Works Director (he also went on to be a Director of the amalgamated company of Spearwell until Skeltons was sadly closed down in the late 60's.

The remaining building is now occupied by several disparate businesses but I don't know who owns it, so can't comment on whether it will continue to remain in its present state or eventually be demolished. I imagine the "to let" notice would suggest there are vacant units available, which is not very surprising in this depressed economic climate.

As a matter of interest there was a photo of a Skelton ladies hockey team published in the Saturdays Sheffield Star Retro Section a few weeks ago.

If you do have any specific questions, I will try to answer them.

Best regards

John

Archived