Up to 10 day stay in Hospital - what to pack?

OOh thanks Scoop .. that will be ideal after for my daughter to use to keep the other daughter away from her make up !!

Earphones .. good idea !

I Pod .. tick .. plus will download audio books aswell as my kindle books onto my poddy.

Mum bought me some Lavender cologne roll on to keep me smelling fresh and I treated myself to some ridiculously priced moisturiser with a gift card I was given from Debenhams.

Socks for bd probably too .. as I get cold feet.

Always, always a smile for those hard worked, under paid nursing staff, too.

Firstly, I hope erverything goes well for you!;)

If it was me going into hospital for ten days, I'd take every possible piece of electronic machinery I could get my hands on. Computer, printer, laptop, Kindle, CD player and speakers, Xbox, plasma TV, Ipad, mobile, landline, legionnaires detector, remote control helicopter ... etc.

I'd also take a mobile generator to power the stuff ! Failing that... some heavy duty jump leads that you can hook up to those heart jump leads! :P

I hope all goes well Saffy and you get an improvement in your condition.

My must have for hospital is a big all encompassing dressing gown that you can huddle into and comfy slippers. Ear plugs are useful to help you sleep. Plenty of money for the internet connection, phone and trolley. A few small bottles of water as it is easy to get dehydrated in there, and straws for if you are imobile at first. A notebook and pen so you can make notes of the things you want people to bring in for you. Tissues and wet wipes for clean ups.

All the best for the procedure, Saffy.

I'd think about buying some front fastening bras, as daft as it may sound, to tide you over the healing period, as you might struggle getting the standard rear-fastening ones on without a fight. it'll save you a lot of fighting!)

yes, Puzzle books, if you like them, (they kept me sane whilst I was in, last year!)

A couple of lip balms (that heat in the hozzie dries your mouth out something chronic, I always end up with cold sores if I don't use salve)

wet-wipes (couple of packs of) they are useful for most cleansing/ refreshing tasks, and a wipe can be a godsend to cool your forehead,

couple of bottles of squash, as the water tastes horrid

Firstly, I hope erverything goes well for you!;)

If it was me going into hospital for ten days, I'd take every possible piece of electronic machinery I could get my hands on. Computer, printer, laptop, Kindle, CD player and speakers, Xbox, plasma TV, Ipad, mobile, landline, legionnaires detector, remote control helicopter ... etc.

I'd also take a mobile generator to power the stuff ! Failing that... some heavy duty jump leads that you can hook up to those heart jump leads! :P

Good point actually, you'll be required to have anything you wish to plug in tested by the hospital works department for electrical safety - It might be worth finding out if you can ho this in advance as I imagine it will be a low priority for you and ward staff once you're admitted.

Take some entertainment,Ipod's/Ipads/handheld consoles.

Cosmetics/Bath body stuff,Shampoo etc

Clothing/towels

Sanitary protection

Loose change

Earphones.

If you can't take anything else - moisturiser, as you will be wanting to wash your hands regularly and the hospital air seems to dessicate skin.

Good luck with your procedure.

Nightdresses/pajamas/cami-tops - whatever you wear in bed - loads and loads of them! I've always found they keep the wards so bloody hot I end up sweating like a pig and have to keep changing them! Nice, thin cotton - leave your wincyette at home!

Ear plugs are also a very good idea, if you want to get any sleep.

Lots and lots and lots of moisturiser and baby wipes! The mattress covers make you sweat and feel all uncomfortable and you can't shower 3 times a day to feel fresh, but then the air conditioning makes your skin go all dry and cracked too. I always like to have some talc, perfume or scented body spray to make me feel a bit fresher after a lick wash too.

If you're likely to end up with any sort of oxygen supply after surgery then you'll also need something like Blistex Intensive lip balm to apply around your mouth and nose because the dry oxygen really dries the skin.

When I was in hospital I was shocked to find that there was no fresh fruit at all on the menu, which was a bit of a shock to someone like me who eats fruit and vegetables in industrial quantities, so I'd suggest that visitors bring you lots of fruit too.

Sugar free sweets and some chewing gum, which are great for taking away the dry mouth and funny tastes created by many of the drugs that accompany operations whilst also being good for your dental hygiene (rather than normal sugary ones which leave you with fur on your teeth) and plenty of squash to make the water more interesting.

Books, puzzle books (don't forget the pens!) and other things for entertainment.

Money for the TV over the bed if you want to use it, to buy newspapers and whatever from the trolley that comes round etc. (not too much, but you do need some).

And finally, don't forget that you won't be allowed to walk around barefoot so you'll need slippers and the wards can get really quite cold at night once you're used to the warmth of the day and you're not moving around much, so make sure that you have plenty of warm stuff with you.

Good luck with everything going like it's meant to :)

Archived