Edinburgh..advice needed for weekend visit

do the walking tour that leaves outside Starbucks at 11 every morning. It is brilliant, and you only pay what you think it is worth.

Do a ghost tour one night.

go to the castle, and walk waaaaay down the other end of the Royal Mile and climb up arthurs seat.

As for accomodation, I've only ever stayed in Hostels..... Avoid Cowgate - they change the bedding once a fortnight, no matter how many guests have used it. :gag:

We went last year for a weekend.

We got on a tour bus and familiarised ourselves with the city before exploring on foot.

We went to the Scottish Parliament and the castle and did a ghost tour of the caves underneath the city.

We visited 6 fantastic real ale pubs.

We went to a fab French restaurant.

We are going back for a week this February.

Jealous! I think Edinburgh may well be one of my favourite places in the UK.

We stayed at a lovely little hotel called Ten Hill Place and it was lovely, the rooms were very cozy yet spacious and had heavy brown and red fabrics in the room to make it look much more expensive than it actually was! Also just around the corner from the Royal Mile, so we were close enough to not have to walk far but far enough away not to hear all the noise at night.

Make sure you go to the Castle - if you go for 1pm you will see them fire the gun (which is done each day, if I remember correctly. That will take a good few hours of your time, I didn't realise just how big it actually was.

Visit Arthurs Seat - quite a slog of a walk but well worth it once your at the top.

Do a tour of the underground vaults at night - although I can't comment on this because I was too scared to do it! :hihi:

Make sure you pop into some traditional pubs as well, there is lots to choose from! Not especially traditional but we liked the pub called "The Worlds End" and thought the food and atmostphere was very nice.. although it is a bit famous for all the wrong reasons - this seems to work for some people though!:huh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_End_murders

If you have some time left over it may be worth a visit to Edinburgh Zoo, filled a couple of hours for us and was lovely to see a Polar Bear in real life - although i think Mercedes the bear has now been moved to a bigger zoo.

Have fun whatever you decide to do - you'll not get bored I guarantee!

Jealous! I think Edinburgh may well be one of my favourite places in the UK.

We stayed at a lovely little hotel called Ten Hill Place and it was lovely, the rooms were very cozy yet spacious and had heavy brown and red fabrics in the room to make it look much more expensive than it actually was! Also just around the corner from the Royal Mile, so we were close enough to not have to walk far but far enough away not to hear all the noise at night.

Make sure you go to the Castle - if you go for 1pm you will see them fire the gun (which is done each day, if I remember correctly. That will take a good few hours of your time, I didn't realise just how big it actually was.

Visit Arthurs Seat - quite a slog of a walk but well worth it once your at the top.

Do a tour of the underground vaults at night - although I can't comment on this because I was too scared to do it! :hihi:

Make sure you pop into some traditional pubs as well, there is lots to choose from! Not especially traditional but we liked the pub called "The Worlds End" and thought the food and atmostphere was very nice.. although it is a bit famous for all the wrong reasons - this seems to work for some people though!:huh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_End_murders

If you have some time left over it may be worth a visit to Edinburgh Zoo, filled a couple of hours for us and was lovely to see a Polar Bear in real life - although i think Mercedes the bear has now been moved to a bigger zoo.

Have fun whatever you decide to do - you'll not get bored I guarantee!

Can't say anything more that the excellent post above.

Edinburgh is my favourite place to visit, so I too am a little jealous :(

I travel by car so I stop just outside Edinburgh in a place called Musselburgh. But if your looking for reasonable prices there is a Travelodge right in the city centre (actually there is quite a few Travelodges dotted around the centre). So I suppose its how much your wanting to spend really.

Planning a visit soon myself, Edinburgh feels like home to me which is a little strange as I was born and have always lived in Rotherham.

Archived