Putting a car back on the road after its written off.

I know nothing about putting write-offs back on the road, but a question occurs to me. If you keep the car that your insurers have already written off (because it's capable of being repaired), does that mean that the theoretical value of your car is now zero? And if so, does that mean that any future damage to the car won't be covered by your insurance - who will claim that the car was already worthless?

Maybe you already know the answer to this, but if you don't, you may want to find out.

I know nothing about putting write-offs back on the road, but a question occurs to me. If you keep the car that your insurers have already written off (because it's capable of being repaired), does that mean that the theoretical value of your car is now zero? And if so, does that mean that any future damage to the car won't be covered by your insurance - who will claim that the car was already worthless?

Maybe you already know the answer to this, but if you don't, you may want to find out.

Good question mate,does anyone know the answer?

buy back off insurance and then its 40 pound for dvla to inspect it

^^this^^

i did it last year it was 40 quid for a vosa check but you need to drive it to Doncaster.

Roughly two thirds to a half of the cars book price will be knocked off the price if you ever sell it on but if like me i'll just keep it till it dies.

ps the vosa is only to see if its not a ringer on very bad work has been done.

^^this^^

i did it last year it was 40 quid for a vosa check but you need to drive it to Doncaster.

Roughly two thirds to a half of the cars book price will be knocked off the price if you ever sell it on but if like me i'll just keep it till it dies.

ps the vosa is only to see if its not a ringer on very bad work has been done.

Thanks for that pal..:)

Hmm, as Mr Pops has said qood question... I'm not an expert by any means but i think the insurance company are saying the cost of repairing the car back to pre-accident condition is more than the actual value of the car so whilst it could be repaired it doesn't make economic sense do so.

Following on from that if you bought it back from them i guess its possible the insurance company would only offer 3rd party cover from there on, they've already indirectly deemed the car of little value by writing it off over a dent and being a recorded loss would only reduce the value / repair V write of threshold even more.

Cheers

Gluggy

You would be supprised what they right off even if its only a paint job if it costs more than cars value they will right it off.Obviously theres various classifications of damage some dont need to have a vosa test pending repair.

Yes the car described will be a cat c category(light/moderate damage) i think.

my car was cat c and i have it insured fully comp and i'm sure its valued at the original book price even though i told them i got it really cheep.

Yes the car described will be a cat c category(light/moderate damage) i think.

my car was cat c and i have it insured fully comp and i'm sure its valued at the original book price even though i told them i got it really cheep.

I believe it will be back to book price value as long as repairs are up to appropriate standards its same with motorcyles i used to buy right offs years ago same with any vehicle.

Archived