Putting a car back on the road after its written off.

I believe it will be back to book price value as long as repairs are up to appropriate standards its same with motorcyles i used to buy right offs years ago same with any vehicle.

Would you buy a cat D or C for the same price as any other car?

I know I wouldn't. The seller will need to stipulate that it has been written off if/when he sells it or part ex's it. Any buyer should do an HPI check anyway.

I would say its worth between 20 - 25% less than a non cat car.

Im not out to sell it . Im going to have it.

Be very careful with this. It really can be a minefield.

The log book will carry a category for the write off, and this will have a major impact on the resale value of the vehicle. More importantly it will flag up when you apply for insurance, and many companies would run a mile.

TBH. on an old vehicle it ain't worth the hassle.

If its drivable as it is and you can buy it from the insurance company and still come out with a good chunk of your settlement intact then it is worth it. You know the car and what damage its sustained.

Re. writing off any car over 10 year old, this is being a bit general. Normally if the repair costs estimated by the assessor (normally vastly inflated) are approx. 50-60% of the trade value of the car it will be deemed uneconomical to repair.

If it were me I'd check the going rates, then buy it back from the insurer and sell it, probably on Ebay.

Someone hit my Pug 306 diesel in the rear last year - giving it Cat C damage. I bought it from the insurers for £150 (scrap value), listed it on Ebay and it still fetched £750.

Would you buy a cat D or C for the same price as any other car?

I know I wouldn't. The seller will need to stipulate that it has been written off if/when he sells it or part ex's it. Any buyer should do an HPI check anyway.

I would say its worth between 20 - 25% less than a non cat car.

Not now i would.nt no lol no longer in trade.Could be tempted to a motorcyle though.

take it to a garage that does insurance work, they can check it out but be warned like other people have said insurance companies write vehicles off easily coz they only use brand new parts not second hand from a scrap yard,

they would have written ours off but we're doing the work ourselves with the help of a friend who owns a garage it will look as good as new once it's all the same colour lol got a black bumper green wings and a white bonnet at the moment but should look good when it's done

Archived