How can we improve the country

Ok, so opinions are like <REMOVED>, we've all got one and most of em stink, but here's my two penneth. There's a lot of threads about "prisons this" and "cutbacks that" and we all seem to have our opinions of how we could improve the outlook of our fair country well here's mine:

Our prisons are full of blokes who work out, eat, smoke and doss about all day. they're like a battery that isn't being used. Now I'm not up on how full our jails are right now but I'm guessing there might be a couple of hundred thousand? maybe more? I dunno. All the inmates have no positive way of exerting their energy and so spend their time fighting, planning escapes, planning fights, planning jobs when they get out or spending time in the gym so they can do all of the above better.

Now don't get me wrong, many do serve their time, keep their heads down and learn their lesson.

How's about we start to use this massive pot of labour to a positive end, chain gangs, and production lines. All the inmates earning the roof over their heads and the three square meals they're provided with daily. There's plenty of graffiti needs scrubbing, litter that needs picking along our rail/motorways, or even factories which are based in other countries which could be tempted to set up shop in england if they were provided with 100 men for the cost of 1, thus supporting the economy and encouraging industry into the country. At the end of the day a tired inmate returns to his cell with an idea of what a working day is and far too tired to start whacking lumps of flesh out of his cell-mate.

Everyones a winner?

i think your right they do it in America

They do, you're right but in the states they don't get a TV in their cell, they don't get 6mths for murder and they do get proper punishment that fits the crime....would never work here because as soon as our nancy government tried it there would be tree huggers all over the country with their banners about human rights.

This does happen.

But there are problems with where they do the work, security issues, incentives etc..

I'm sure that one prison has a small factory on site but it hasn't been able to be competitive for whatever reason.

They work anywhere that is remote and secluded from the general population.

Picking fruit and veg - reduces the cost to the farmer which can be passed on to the consumer and support our farms and households

In quarry/opencast type work - reduces the cost of excavating raw material and could possibly encourage the re-opening of mothballed sites

There's 2 suggestions. Security wise they are all scanned upon return to the prison to prevent contraband being smuggled, they are also chained together to prevent runaways and they are overseen by a guard/s with rubber bullets or tasers maybe?

Incentives: through their actions they have removed themselves the freedom of choice and so have to work. if anything they get to go outside the prison facility and see something new.

An inmate costs the government something around £30k - £40k per year. It could be about time that they started to work for their crust.

They work anywhere that is remote and secluded from the general population.

Picking fruit and veg - reduces the cost to the farmer which can be passed on to the consumer and support our farms and households

In quarry/opencast type work - reduces the cost of excavating raw material and could possibly encourage the re-opening of mothballed sites

There's 2 suggestions. Security wise they are all scanned upon return to the prison to prevent contraband being smuggled, they are also chained together to prevent runaways and they are overseen by a guard/s with rubber bullets or tasers maybe?

Incentives: through their actions they have removed themselves the freedom of choice and so have to work. if anything they get to go outside the prison facility and see something new.

An inmate costs the government something around £30k - £40k per year. It could be about time that they started to work for their crust.

What do we do about the people who are already doing these jobs?

Archived