Look North/ Look Leeds

nickswfc

• 5 months later...

ok so i know its not look north but did anyone watch Calender last night ?

The bit when that blonde women reads some stories that are apparently from our region was on said :-

Championship leaders leeds united..........shortly followed by.......are ONLY 6 points behind yorkshire rivals Sheffield United lol

If it was the other way around and leeds were infront it would be.... Sheffield United are a massive 6 points behind !

Do we all agree ?

Yeah they've been doing that a lot over the past few weeks it's been only 12 points, 10 points etc. Especially enjoyed recent episodes of Look Leeds...sorry North showing Ex Leeds Goalkeeper Gary Sprake and his autobiography, A look back at Leeds unbeaten start at the beginning of the 1973 season (what the relevance of that was i don't know/can't remember).

Also like the way they bring up Leeds band Kaiser Chiefs and Yorkshire's Arctic Monkeys. Expect to hear a lot about Leeds singer Corrine Bailey Rae over the next few weeks. Oh and does anyone else get fed up with that pout that Christa Ackroyd keeps doing.

Wakefield is a town, whose only claim to fame is that it's just down the road from Leeds. And Bradford and Leeds are so physically close together that all Yorkshiremen now have to put up with constant stereotypes about inbreeding :loopy:

This isn't true, Abdul. I'm being pedantic now, but Wakefield is a city. The six cities in Yorkshire with date of royal charter are:

York (time immemorial)

Ripon (1836)

Wakefield (1888 )

Sheffield (1893)

Leeds (1893)

Bradford (1897)

Hull (1897)

More on topic, Look North is certainly biased, but it's because the BBC is based there. People in Doncaster and Barnsley moan about their local BBC radio station - Radio Sheffield - being too Sheffield oriented.

Hull isn't in Yorkshire. since the devolution of humberside (for shame), the new authorites are:

Hull (on its own, not in any county, expelled from being associated from anywhere else, probably cos it keeps topping all those worst places to live polls)

North Lincolnshire (scunthorpe etc) - which is not IN Lincolnshire

North East Lincs (Grimsby, Cleethorpes etc) - also not in lincolnshire - and NELC is so awful that all the moaning minnies who wanted Humberside devolved so they could 'go back to lincolnshire' must regret it. Instead of going 'back' they got the worst local authority in the country, alongside Hull. Well done.

The East Riding (Beverley etc) - Debatable whether this is Yorkshire or not.

And as for Look North and Calendar, I preferred it when all the news from the Humberside (former) regions were with Yorkshire, cos being from that neck of the woods and living in this one it used to be quite handy getting it all together. Thankfully ceefax still operates this way...

And as for Look North and Calendar, I preferred it when all the news from the Humberside (former) regions were with Yorkshire, cos being from that neck of the woods and living in this one it used to be quite handy getting it all together. Thankfully ceefax still operates this way...

On Digital Satellite, you can watch the BBC East Yorks./NE Lincs., as well as the other Yorkshire region (Calendar East - covering N. Norfolk, and the strip up Lincolnshire up to E. Yorks.) - although, to gain the other ITVs, a bit of techy Sky menu fiddling's needed.

:P

Hull isn't in Yorkshire. since the devolution of humberside (for shame), the new authorites are:

Hull (on its own, not in any county, expelled from being associated from anywhere else, probably cos it keeps topping all those worst places to live polls)

North Lincolnshire (scunthorpe etc) - which is not IN Lincolnshire

North East Lincs (Grimsby, Cleethorpes etc) - also not in lincolnshire - and NELC is so awful that all the moaning minnies who wanted Humberside devolved so they could 'go back to lincolnshire' must regret it. Instead of going 'back' they got the worst local authority in the country, alongside Hull. Well done.

The East Riding (Beverley etc) - Debatable whether this is Yorkshire or not.

Hull is Yorkshire. Local authorities have nothing to do with historic and ceremonial counties. You were obviously never in Hull when the ghastly Humberside existed. Humberside was never accepted, that's why it was abolished. If your argumentation holds true, then Sheffield is not in Yorkshire because there has been no County of South Yorkshire since 1986. Sheffield remains Yorkshire however, historically the West Riding.

And it's not debatable whether the East Riding of Yorkshire is Yorkshire. The name says it all.

I'm from Humberside. Born and bred. Therefore I have no acknowledgment of Humberside bits being part of Lincolnshire or Yorkshire, because to me, they aren't. Humberside was where I was born and that was all I knew until they devolved it. And whilst the north bank might want to be from Yorkshire, who wants to be from Lincolnshire??????

Just as to the kids born now probably won't associate the bits that used to be Humberside as being part of any county. The bits that used to be in Yorkshire and Lincs aren't in them anymore. They left and they aren't really back, no matter what name they give themselves, cos they have new authorities. And because a lot of Humberside services etc still exist. (ANd if you want to argue there is no such thing as Yorkshire, you would probably have a fair point)

Humberside had its flaws but it was still a lot better than the current set-up they have. Well, better than Hull council and NELC, I don't know enough about NL and ER to comment on them. I worked for Humberisde County COuncil for a couple of years and then for NELC after the changes, and NELC were far worse, they've done nothing but destroy Grimsby and Cleethorpes' public services. Humberside may have been biased towards the north but the south was still better off before devolution. I was TOTALLY against the abolotion of Humberside.

Ok, so now I've left that neck of the woods its a bit immaterial.

And I know you can watch the 'Humberside' Look North on Sky but it was better when it was all integrated. Even though it was still all about Leeds

PS The BBc still believes in Humberside (ish) - their local site for Hull, Gy etc is http://www.bbc.co.uk/humber

Archived