Firth Rixson-Bessemer Road Works

OntarioOwl

I worked at the Bessemer Road works of Firth Rixson, formerly Woodhouse & Rixson, for a number of years, prior to transferring to the Ickles works. I left in 1995 and emigrated to Canada, but have always held a special place for FR.

I recently came across an old tape that was shot in about 1991. The quality was a bit poor, but I have transferred it over to digital and now placed it online. For anyone with a love of the old Sheffield skills this is good viewing.

BTW I appear in this vid...wearing my trusty baseball cap and orange ear muffs.

Enjoy

http://www.vidiLife.com/reloc.cfm?cryp=010-3FBD4A0F-F26F-47B9-B613-9

• 8 years later...

My husband is Geoff Younge he is trying to trace Mick who was a mate during his time at Rixons during mid 1970s to early 80s. Mick was married to Lynn and they had two daughters and lived at Hackenthorpe. Neither of us can remember his surname.

I worked at Arthur Lee's Crown Works opposite, as an apprentice (1956 - 1962). Often used to watch the forge hands at work. To a young lad it was fascinating. Not forgetting hot and hard work for the men at work.

Archived