Who do people from Doncaster look down on?

Oh Bessacarr you mean - consultants at Doncaster DGH, solicitors, accountants and the like live there.

Only in the really big houses! ;) We lived in Bessacarr for about 20 years in a fairly ordinary semi. Our neighbours were salesmen, RAF personnel, a policeman etc. We moved there in the early 70s, it felt like a safe place to bring up our children, and the two primary schools were excellent.

I grew up in Thorne, I don't remember fish processing factories, but I didn't really go to that end of town (towards Moorends) much. The whole town isn't like you described there are some more pleasant areas too.

Me too, and I don't remember any fish processing places either! Maybe they're thinking of Goole??:huh:

Sheffield has a university or two to bring in some new blood and it does very well at keeping a high percentage of them. I live in Sheffield, work in Rotherham, lived in Barnsley for a few months many years ago and have made frequent trips to Doncaster during the last ten years.

Who would choose to live in these urban areas other than for 'family' reasons or because they can't afford anything more aspirational? There are some lovely villages around and about and Doncaster has tried to make the drive in from the M18 look pretty but have you seen Hyde Park?

I chose to live in Doncaster and have family that chose to live in Rotherham and Barnsley.

Sheffield looks down on Rotherham, I can see where you are coming from in saying that - but Barnsley looks down on Doncaster? How does that work? Doncaster has more shops, a better market and a far more impressive night life than Barnsley - As an outsider, it seems that Sheffield being the larger city appears to have more going for it than the other three towns in S Yorks, but after Sheffield it would be Doncaster - With Rotherham and Barnsley being small towns that appear to struggle work wise, etc...

I used to live in Donny and my grandparents live in Barnsley and the market is way better there.

Archived