Should i be ashamed to be unemployed?

I think you can judge yourself whether you are genuinely entitled to dole money, some people are unemployed through no fault of their own and don't need to feel ashamed, as long as effort is made to find a job and you keep trying don't allow yourself to be judged by others or lay yourself open to criticism by posting about it on a forum:)

i've been unemployed for a few years as i developed a serious mental illness,

previous to that i'd worked for years in a high salaried job and paid many thousands in tax, probably more than most of the members of this forum will ever pay,

i've applied for many menial jobs and am always told that my PHD makes me over qualified,

i regularly do voluntary work as a form of therapy,

however i'm constantly aware of the stigma of unemployment, this forum is rife with it, constant references to "scrounging" and "dole scum"

can someone explain why this is?

my forfathers fought hard for this system so that people with problems werent thrown in the workhouse or left to rot,

because of the situation i've found myself in am i no longer allowed any rights? or a voice?

i'm sure i'll be bullied out or referred to as a troll but i genuinely am interested.

Why should you be ashamed. You've done your bit and worked hard, no shame in that, and as you say applied for many jobs, even taking on voluntary work. No you shouldn't feel ashamed.

Good luck in finding employment.

Why should you be ashamed. You've done your bit and worked hard, no shame in that, and as you say applied for many jobs, even taking on voluntary work. No you shouldn't feel ashamed.

Good luck in finding employment.

thank you so much for your reply,

very kind of you to say that.

thank you so much for your reply,

very kind of you to say that.

I think the majority of tax-payers aint got a problem when people find themselves out of work through illness or losing jobs. It's those who make it a life choice,and have no intention of paying their way in life who are immensly disliked.

I don't get it, this guy has 12 posts and from my noseying around, from what I can see 11 of them are in this thread? how does that make him a troll? have I missed something?

He has an account, LadOnDole, he created ManOnDole to reply to one of his own threads as LadOnDole, which has now been deleted.

Archived