Should i be ashamed to be unemployed?

thanks for the considered reply,

trust me, what i live on now is a pittance to what i used to earn, i live a very frugal life and only claim for the minimum i'm entitled to,

i cannot return to the industry i was trained in due to my mental health but cannot find employment in a menial role due to my high level qualifications,

so all thats left to me is voluntary work,

but yet i'm still chastised for being unemployed!

You really need to tailor your CV to suit the job you're applying for. If you think that having a PhD jeapordises you getting a job then leave it out. This is not lying. Try to get your CV on one page starting with a paragraph which describes you and is relevant to the job you're applying for. The JobCentre will be able to help you with CV writing and advice on interviews.

I think the majority of tax-payers aint got a problem when people find themselves out of work through illness or losing jobs. It's those who make it a life choice,and have no intention of paying their way in life who are immensly disliked.

I would like to think you are right because that would make a great deal of sense but the human race has become so that we all make judgements of people before we know any facts....

Woman pushing a pram wearing trainers...

Assumption: Chav on benefits with loads of kids so she can get a 3 bed house.

Fact: Woman who has a partner in a well paid job, owns their own home and just likes the comfort of sporty clothing.

Man in twenties walking through town in the afternoon...

Assumption: Benefit scrounger

Fact: Works the night shift, has been home and had a sleep.

Man / woman walking into the jobcentre... (The jobcentre staff are particuarly bad for this)

Assumption: Benefit scrounger, never had a job in their life and claim for everything they can get their hands on.

Fact: Just been laid off after working for the same company for 10yrs

Homeless guy on streets selling big issue...

Assumption: Stinks of wee, is a druggie and alcoholic and would rob you blind if you blinked when walking past

Fact: Has just been discharged from the Army and can't settle in civilian life.

Young person sitting in priority seat on bus...

Assumption: Lazy little **** get up and let someone old sit down.

Fact: Young person has a hidden disability and doesn't like to brag about it

Let's face it, we've all done it, and some of us still do it on a daily basis, I can guarantee that at least one of you reading this has done at least one in the last hour...it's a fact of life these days, we're all too ignorant to care about facts, we just make our own minds up cos we know best don't we....

You really need to tailor your CV to suit the job you're applying for. If you think that having a PhD jeapordises you getting a job then leave it out. This is not lying. Try to get your CV on one page starting with a paragraph which describes you and is relevant to the job you're applying for. The JobCentre will be able to help you with CV writing and advice on interviews.

should i act a bit thick at the interview too?

i've been unemployed for a few years as i developed a serious mental illness,

previous to that i'd worked for years in a high salaried job and paid many thousands in tax, probably more than most of the members of this forum will ever pay,

i've applied for many menial jobs and am always told that my PHD makes me over qualified,

i regularly do voluntary work as a form of therapy,

however i'm constantly aware of the stigma of unemployment, this forum is rife with it, constant references to "scrounging" and "dole scum"

can someone explain why this is?

my forfathers fought hard for this system so that people with problems werent thrown in the workhouse or left to rot,

because of the situation i've found myself in am i no longer allowed any rights? or a voice?

i'm sure i'll be bullied out or referred to as a troll but i genuinely am interested.

write a book on your life in unemployment.

Archived