Public Libraries to close all over Britain

Public Libraries News has published the list of libraries currently earmarked for closure. As the list grows every day, they're updating it regularly. Here's what he have so far :

http://publiclibrariesnews.blogspot.com/

468 libraries (414 buildings and 54 mobiles) are currently under threat or recently closed, plus one mobile in Essex, plus 16 (out of 34) in Warwickshire.

Protests are taking place, with some well-kmown names taking part :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/04/protests-save-our-libraries-day

More news as I get it.

Doncaster's cabinet have voted to close 14 of their 26 libraries already. Go-ahead to close 14 of 26 libraries in Doncaster

Note that this was a cabinet decision. There are 63 councillors in Doncaster of which 34 are Labour so you'd expect that, having a majority of councillors, there's be one or two Labour councillors in the cabinet. However, the cabinet is appointed by the Mayor of Doncaster who is Peter Davies of the English Democrats and guess what? There are no Labour councillors in his cabinet which comprises:

Chair:

Peter Davies - English Democrats

Deputy Chair:

Deputy Mayor Councillor Patricia Schofield - Conservative

Members:

Councillor Andrea Milner - Independent

Councillor Cynthia Ransome - Conservative

Councillor Mark Thompson - Independent

Councillor Patrick Wilson - Liberal Democrat

Councillor Jonathan Wood - Conservative

Hooray, democracy in action, well English Democracy that is.

Hooray, democracy in action, well English Democracy that is.

I don't recall being given a vote in who is in the current Cameron/Clegg coalition cabinet. Or Gordon Brown's cabinet. Or Tony Blair's cabinet. Or John Major's cabinet. Or Margaret Thatcher's cabinet.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

(Stop if it starts to hurt.)

In the world of the future there will be mostly two types of building, retail and housing. The Victorian ideal of places that people could better themselves has been thrown out.

This inscription above the entrance to Highfield Library on London Road says it all. I wonder if the council will have to obliterate the inscription out of embarrassment when they sell the library?

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/images/99~1671.jpg

Well it's only right and proper that the outrageous spending on libraries that caused the global economic crisis should be the first to be cut. All these highly paid librarians, swanning around in their bentleys with their multi million pound bonuses and their off-shore accounts. How dare they believe they should get a penny of tax payers money when there are far more important things that need money. Such as weekly bin collections and a new Downing St spinmeister.

Well it's only right and proper that the outrageous spending on libraries that caused the global economic crisis should be the first to be cut. All these highly paid librarians, swanning around in their bentleys with their multi million pound bonuses and their off-shore accounts. How dare they believe they should get a penny of tax payers money when there are far more important things that need money. Such as weekly bin collections and a new Downing St spinmeister.

and their glasses and pencil skirts shushing everyone in sight...

I don't recall being given a vote in who is in the current Cameron/Clegg coalition cabinet. Or Gordon Brown's cabinet. Or Tony Blair's cabinet. Or John Major's cabinet. Or Margaret Thatcher's cabinet.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

(Stop if it starts to hurt.)

At least the political hue of those cabinets reflected the electorate's voting patterns. Do you understand now?

Well, if they're a drain on public resource and no one is using them...

I'm not saying that's true, I've not been in a public library in years. But I can only imagine that usage is in decline.

We live in an era where libraries are almost defunct as most information you wish to find at a library can now be found on-line. That information can now be accessed via a mobile device that can fit in the palm of your hand and can be accessed from practically anywhere. Its for that reason that i support this decision if it means we are to be brought back from the precipice of national bankruptcy. Give it twenty years more and libraries will be surplus to requirements anyhow...

;7240992']We live in an era where libraries are almost defunct as most information you wish to find at a library can now be found on-line. That information can now be accessed via a mobile device that can fit in the palm of your hand and can be accessed from practically anywhere. Its for that reason that i support this decision if it means we are to be brought back from the precipice of national bankruptcy. Give it twenty years more and libraries will be surplus to requirements anyhow...

How is closing libraries going to do that?

Archived