Public Libraries to close all over Britain

Doncaster's cabinet have voted to close 14 of their 26 libraries already. Go-ahead to close 14 of 26 libraries in Doncaster

Note that this was a cabinet decision. There are 63 councillors in Doncaster of which 34 are Labour so you'd expect that, having a majority of councillors, there's be one or two Labour councillors in the cabinet. However, the cabinet is appointed by the Mayor of Doncaster who is Peter Davies of the English Democrats and guess what? There are no Labour councillors in his cabinet which comprises:

Chair:

Peter Davies - English Democrats

Deputy Chair:

Deputy Mayor Councillor Patricia Schofield - Conservative

Members:

Councillor Andrea Milner - Independent

Councillor Cynthia Ransome - Conservative

Councillor Mark Thompson - Independent

Councillor Patrick Wilson - Liberal Democrat

Councillor Jonathan Wood - Conservative

Hooray, democracy in action, well English Democracy that is.

I wouldn't cite Doncaster as a centre for democracy, but then Donny council had major problems before any of this lot had power. ;)

As a long term former resident of Doncaster, and a library user, I'm sad to see the library in an area like Bawtry threatened with closure. Its a small market town and the library is very well used.

Library provision across Doncaster wasn't exactly equal when we lived there though. The so called biggest private estate in Europe, Bessacarr, still has the portakabin in the school playground as their library. I seem to recall petitions going to the council in the late 70s for a better library, but the area didn't attract much public money. I think it might have had something to do with the local councillors not being from the majority party. :o

;7240992']We live in an era where libraries are almost defunct as most information you wish to find at a library can now be found on-line. That information can now be accessed via a mobile device that can fit in the palm of your hand and can be accessed from practically anywhere. Its for that reason that i support this decision if it means we are to be brought back from the precipice of national bankruptcy. Give it twenty years more and libraries will be surplus to requirements anyhow...

I visit my local library regularly.. despite [obviously] having internet access. A library is not just a place to get information, it is a place to get enjoyment. As one who reads for pleasure, my local library is a moch loved place. My children visit the library, something that I encourage, as they both are starting to enjoy books. Generally, I think, encouraging children to read is A Good Thing.

Reading some of the posts on here there is often points made regarding spelling and grammar, and reading is an excellent way to improve both of these things... not to mention the knowledge you can pick up whilst reading, without even realising it!!!

My library will order me the new books I want, without me having to buy them, and I've never come out without something new to read. It would be massively short sighted to take this away from the next generation. Yes, the internet can provide information, but reading is about more than just that. And lets not forget that for some, a free library is potentially the only access they will have to either books or the internet. Obviously these people are being ignored by the councils intent on shutting libraries.

Not much people use it. it is not good valve for money spent, all libary shoiuld be close to save money imo

This is the standard of post from someone who never uses libraries. Seven mistakes in two short sentences.

Says it all really.

it is not good valve for money spent

It is hard to measure "value for money" with a service like a library. Is 10 people reading a book that changes their life worth more than 100 people reading something average, and if so what monetary value do we put on this? Is a child learning to read in a library worth more than an old woman reading another Mills & Boon? There is no "value for money" with libraries. Their intrinsic worth is that they exist.

Not much people use it. it is not good valve for money spent, all libary shoiuld be close to save money imo

Clearly you have literacy issues. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but, inevitably, that's going you influence your opinion about libraries, isn't it?

Sad thing is, that libraries are one of the most useful resources for children to get enthusiastic about reading and probably, for that reason, do more to cut down on illitaracy than most things.

I was lucky enough to not have problems with reading/writing when young- I'm pretty sure that was cos I loved reading and visiting the local library from a very early age.

;7240992']We live in an era where libraries are almost defunct as most information you wish to find at a library can now be found on-line. That information can now be accessed via a mobile device that can fit in the palm of your hand and can be accessed from practically anywhere. Its for that reason that i support this decision if it means we are to be brought back from the precipice of national bankruptcy. Give it twenty years more and libraries will be surplus to requirements anyhow...

You can't read or download the majority of books for free online.

I doubt that upcoming technological advances will make libraries defunct either. Libraries are not just about books- they've got DVDs for hire and they provide internet access.

Indeed, for those without the internet at home, libraries are the main source of access to the internet.

As for those who are saying the libraries are not used- try walking in to the central library and getting on a computer straight away- generally you're going to have to book a machine and come back in an hour or so, because they're usually all in use.

There's also usually a lot of people browsing the book sections too.

Costs? Indirectly, in terms of the huge benefits to young & old from such easy access to books and other resources, libraries save the nation a fortune, just from lowering illitaracy alone.

And, in the grand scheme of things, they're actually a pretty cheap resource to run.

Archived