Public Libraries to close all over Britain

why not privatise them...if you want to borrow a book then pay for it.....or nip into works they have some great books at bargain prices....

The fact that books are free is a big factor in attracting users.

Also, the libraries are partly funded by the fact that hiring CDs and DVDs cost a small amount.

Works is a decent discount bookshop, but in no way does it have anything like the range of books of the libraries. Additionally, the library stocks many hard-to-obtain and minority interest books/resources, rather than just stocking stuff they think will sell well.

Because they are valuable to society. As regards to The Works, you are mistaking "books" with the grand scheme of literature a library will give you access to.

maybe but nothing in life is free anymore...everything needs paying for...i use the library with its wealth of information...and find it incredible that it is still free....

they are not closing every library are they...like the boozers there are just too many of them....close some to save the rest...simple solution

maybe but nothing in life is free anymore...everything needs paying for...i use the library with its wealth of information...and find it incredible that it is still free....

they are not closing every library are they...

True, and I said it another thread but I can see why an argument can be made to close the smaller ones. Crystal Peaks library has nothing for me, so I get the bus into town. The problem here is that some people do use smaller libraries.

Ultimately I find it sad that these literary services are cut. Like I found it sad when the funding for building new schools stops. If we can afford nuclear bombs then we can easily afford books.

True, and I said it another thread but I can see why an argument can be made to close the smaller ones. Crystal Peaks library has nothing for me, so I get the bus into town. The problem here is that some people do use smaller libraries.

Have you thought of using the Sheffield Libraries online service? You can search for all the books in entire collection and with your library card number and PIN code you can order the books for pick-up at your local branch.

Link here - http://library.sheffield.gov.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/LYEHBRy4Jb/CL/0/49

On the Isle of Wight we currently have 11 libraries dotted over the island, some in rural areas. Our Council are closing all but TWO of these libraries and these will be based in Newport (the main town) and Ryde. They are also taking away ALL mobile services!!

A lot of people will not be able to afford to travel to Newport or Ryde (our bus fares are astronomical - minimum bus fare £2.80 single fare; no cheap day returns or cheap weekly tickets for us.).

Lots of unemployed people use our libraries as do the elderly and children. As with other libraries ours are not just used for reading or the taking out of books they are used for other activites.

I think it is very shortsighted that all Councils have decided on this route. Maybe if the top Councillors took a small percentage drop in their high salaries then more than enough could be saved to keep libraries open.

I believe (no stats to back this up just my own thoughts and perception!) that there are far more illiterate people in the UK then there has ever been. Like someone else on here has said grammar and spellings are quite appalling from some users. And I think as the years go by it will only get worse - education seems to have been dumbed down and if libraries close then a lot of children especially those who don't get access to books will suffer the most. It always amazes me when people are criticized for their spellings and bad grammer that they always say they suffer from dyslexia - this appears to be a pandemic - but is it really dyslexia or just poor education or could it even be the lack of reading and access to books from a young age?

Unfortunately I don't have the answers - but maybe someone on here does?

Archived