State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

Of course I appreciate what he's saying, Ive a more time for Cameron than any of the other leaders, I'm really addressing some of the more crass statements being made here and of course his comments are equally being seized upon by xenophobes generally.

My major criticism of Cameron and his administration would be the reckless timing of his speech given events that are taking place in Luton today.

But look at it from another angle he is defusing the EDL by the government taking action. It has been because of a lack of action against extremists by the last government that opposing extremist groups were able to recruit.

A very shrewd move I think.

First, white and non-white residents move out of the inner cities when they can afford better housing and commuting costs. This usually happens in middle age. So if everyone generally moves when they can afford to, it can’t necessarily be put down to cultural tensions.

Second, the number of mixed neighbourhoods (or electoral wards) is increasing. Between 1991 and 2001, they grew from 864 to 1070. Also minority white wards are also still mixed wards: they are not segregated. So we’re getting less not more segregated.

Third, inequalities experienced by non-white residents whether in majority-white, mixed or minority-white wards are broadly similar. This shows that geography and ethnic mix are not salient factors in creating inequality. The employment rate of non-whites is roughly twice as high as whites in all these three sorts of ward. So ethnic differentials in poverty aren’t a function of these mythical ghettos either!

So it seems that if there aren’t really any no-go areas as such, just the ones that people like the racists like to dream up in their heads.

The notion that there’s a problem with ethnic minority communities not integrating into wider British society has become so commonplace among politicians that it is hardly ever challenged.

A succession of government reports and policy initiatives have encouraged the notion that “community cohesion” is under threat, and that the key problem is that ethnic minority communities refuse to engage, preferring instead to “self-segregate” and retreat into the ghetto.

This picture is comprehensively false. Friendship groups are becoming more mixed, not less. Most ethnic minority young people say at least half their friends are white.

Less than 20 percent of minorities born in Britain say they only have friends from their own ethnic group.

If any group is ethnically isolated, it is white people – over half of white people say they only have white friends.

One index of increased integration is the number of people who say they are of “mixed” ethnicity.

The “mixed” group accounts for 650,000 people in England alone and is one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in Britain.

Moreover, surveys of social attitudes going back decades show a steady increase in positive attitudes towards ethnic diversity.

If any group is ethnically isolated, it is white people – over half of white people say they only have white friends.

i would hazard that this is the same for most races. 99% of my friends are black. and of those, 99% are African. of those 99% are Zimbabwean. it's more or less the same for everyone i know.

i'm tight with some people of all races but they are 'my uni friends', 'my work friends', 'the mrs' friends' etc. would be interesting to see if it's the same for people on here if we agree to not call the white guys who only have white friends racist.

I can disprove them, for the fifth time, by pointing out that I live there and nobody has ever tried to stop me going home for being white!b:hihi:
Are the links I posted true and factual or are they not? Yes or no?

You're not a good loser Spindrift, and never have the grace to admit when you're worng.

Cameron is showing he's not above pandering to racists.

You are branding those who don't agree with your views racists.

Don't you realise over the years open and honest debate has been stifled by labels being attached to people who disagree with anothers views and therefore have not expressed them.

Archived