Government to consult over moving May Day bank holiday to October

Bit of a bummer for anyone born on 25th December. :smile:

Or a friend of mine, who was born on New Year's Day.

Still, he is self-employed. As a self-employed type myself, a bank holiday is simply another work day.

After all, somebody has to generate all that "free money" that everybody is whining about being cut.

Hows about we get our birthdays off work ? :)

The place I work at now has this policy, you're not supposed to turn up on your birthday, it's an 'unofficial' (not in contract, but they've done it the last 3 years) extra day of holiday, it's quite a nice thing :)

• 4 weeks later...
Saw this story on the news this morning. I'd prefer an extra day rather than having May Day moved.

I'm sure everybody would, but since that isn't on the table; would you prefer four bank holidays in the space of 6-7 weeks in early Spring, with nothing between August and Christmas; or would you prefer one to be moved?

I think we should get another one. This year and next we do (Royal Wedding and Queen's jubilee).

The problem is, as said above, they all come at the same time in Spring. Personally I would reduce Easter to one day, and give a Bank Holiday in July, and make the one at the end of August two days. Who wants a Bank Holiday in October when it's cold, wet and dark?

as we are going to have to extra ones for the next two years, it would make sense to keep it and if you want one towards the end of the year then how about 20th November.

It's St Edmunds Day, the true patron saint of England.

Archived