Government to consult over moving May Day bank holiday to October

Ha ha I genuinely laughed at that!

Maandag - Dinsdag - Woensdag - Donderdag - Vrijdag - Zaterdag - Zondag.

Try speaking French in Flanders ... You'll probably be told (if the person you're speaking to is feeling polite) "We do not speak French here, thank you. We speak very good English."

I heard on the news tonight that the reason for moving the bank holiday from May 1st to (possibly sometime in October) as 'to extend the tourist season and attract tourists from overseas to England later in the year.'

Moving the bank holiday won't make the weather in October any better and since It's going to be an English holiday (or would it also be a holiday in Wales, Scotland and NI as well?) how will that affect foreign tourists?

Moving the bank holiday won't make the weather in October any better and since It's going to be an English holiday (or would it also be a holiday in Wales, Scotland and NI as well?) how will that affect foreign tourists?

That is something I have been pondering too. I plan my foreign holidays when it suits me. I don't check it's a Bank Holiday in Spain before I book it.

The other theory is that it is a plot by the Tories who don't like the idea of having Labour Day as a Bank Holiday.

Try speaking French in Flanders ... You'll probably be told (if the person you're speaking to is feeling polite) "We do not speak French here, thank you. We speak very good English."

Are we backtracking a bit here, Rupert?

As you, no doubt, know the three most spoken languages in Belgium are Flemish (ok, Dutch), French and German. None of which contain a "Y" in any of their day names.

Please be graceful enough to accept this one little error in your otherwise perfect posting record.

Fair enough - Well caught :hih: I should've said something like 'any English day with a 'y' in it or any day with a 'g' in it.'

The Belgians do enjoy their holidays though. I went in to a garage in mid Dec(2003) to try to get a part for a car. They didn't have it, so I asked: "Can you get it for me for tomorrow?" "Ce n'est pas possible, M'sieu" (usual answer whatever you ask.) "We will be closed tomorrow."

"Oh, when do you re-open?" I asked. "After Christmas. - On the 7th of January."

Archived