Calling the Irish!

Leprechaun

A Chara,

most of the young Irish are students and have relevant associations etc.

A few Irish students have jobs behind the bar at the Grapes pub or the Dog & Partridge pub...might be worth checking out.

There is also a Sheffield Irish Association and the Irish Professional Network which have websites you could contact.

There is a GAA team as well....hope these give a fellow Armagh man a few pointers, welcome to Sheffield, a great city.

If you're from Armagh does that not make you Ulster rather than Irish?

do you think armagh isn't in ireland? aren't the english sweet!

welcome to england fella - you'll find the natives rather vulgar and uneducated, but you'll be fine.

come down the dog and part next saturday and ask around - we're mainly older than you, but you'll be welcome and we'll buy you a jar.

If you're from Armagh does that not make you Ulster rather than Irish?

That is why I do not go in Irish pubs.

I am from Co Londonderry which makes me Northern Irish but everyone assumes you are "Irish" because of your accent.

This made it awkward one evening quite a few years ago in the D&P when I told everyone I was a Rangers fan:)

That is why I do not go in Irish pubs.

I am from Co Londonderry which makes me Northern Irish but everyone assumes you are "Irish" because of your accent.

This made it awkward one evening quite a few years ago in the D&P when I told everyone I was a Rangers fan:)

you are 'irish' you were born in ireland, you have an irish accent, an irish ancestry and, an irish culture - despite the political situation, northern IRELAND is in IRELAND that's why it's called northern ireland rather than northern england or spain or mexico

Welcome to Sheffield Leprechaun. Despite what some may say, we English are not all vulgar and uneducated. You'll find a warm welcome in any pub whether it is Irish or not. Most people are not particularly hung up on political history and will take you as they find you.

Enjoy your stay!

you are 'irish' you were born in ireland, you have an irish accent, an irish ancestry and, an irish culture - despite the political situation, northern IRELAND is in IRELAND that's why it's called northern ireland rather than northern england or spain or mexico

You may be correct but the assumption that people make when they hear your accent is that you are an Irish Catholic.

I do not want to get into a religious debate but that is why I call myself Northern Irish or British.

In places such as the D&P you are made to feel uncomfortable if you are not an Irish Catholic.

Archived