Calling the Irish!

Leprechaun

You may be correct but the assumption that people make when they hear your accent is that you are an Irish Catholic.

I do not want to get into a religious debate but that is why I call myself Northern Irish or British.

In places such as the D&P you are made to feel uncomfortable if you are not an Irish Catholic.

I'm not, and I've never noticed. Nobody's ever questioned my origin or my faith or lack of it. Maybe you're paranoid.

I'm not, and I've never noticed. Nobody's ever questioned my origin or my faith or lack of it. Maybe you're paranoid.

You are not what ? Irish, Irish Catholic or Irish anything ?

Never suffered from paranoia in my life.

you are 'irish' you were born in ireland, you have an irish accent, an irish ancestry and, an irish culture - despite the political situation, northern IRELAND is in IRELAND that's why it's called northern ireland rather than northern england or spain or mexico

my good friend is from belfast now living in sheffield....i asked him what he classes himself as..he replied...british..northern ireland is not part of the republic...my parents are both from dublin so pretty divided as i was born here...the majority of english love the irish culture for various reasons but i think u will be welcomed anywhere

do you think armagh isn't in ireland? aren't the english sweet!

welcome to england fella - you'll find the natives rather vulgar and uneducated, but you'll be fine.

come down the dog and part next saturday and ask around - we're mainly older than you, but you'll be welcome and we'll buy you a jar.

oh...vulgar and ineducated? get a grip my friend.............

my good friend is from belfast now living in sheffield....i asked him what he classes himself as..he replied...british..northern ireland is not part of the republic...my parents are both from dublin so pretty divided as i was born here...the majority of english love the irish culture for various reasons but i think u will be welcomed anywhere

not part of the republic, part of the island of ireland - the distinction is rather more modern than the geology.

oh...vulgar and ineducated? get a grip my friend.............

not ineducated, uneducated - I was referring to the previous post that questioned our friend's description of himself as Irish and the general dearth of knowledge of Irish history on this side of the sea.

If you are neither vulgar nor uneducated, I withdraw the comment.

Archived