Sharing your bus tickets - Help out your fellow men

or how about:

c. Raise prices anyway and blame the increase in fuel costs while making even more profit each year?

I'll go with 'c'

I'll certainly agree they'll do that as much as they can get away with.

If it reduces the revenue they would otherwise get it will make a difference to some manager's spreadsheet calculating income versus expenditure and cause them to increase prices sooner than they would otherwise have done.

Bus companies don't calculate their prices like that, they simply charge whatever they think they can get away with.

They'll cut services on that route, or ask for more subsidies if revenue drops on the route.

Bus companies don't calculate their prices like that, they simply charge whatever they think they can get away with.

They'll cut services on that route, or ask for more subsidies if revenue drops on the route.

You don't think it would add to the pressure on them to do it then?

If you have a weekly saver/day saver you no longer require, but that can still be used, you should share it.

I often ask people if they need one and give it away. If I cannot find anybody I'll stick to a bus stop.

It has no value to you, but can save somebody else money.

If I had one of these vouchers that I no longer needed I would gladly sell it on for less than I paid for it. I have no problem with saving somebody else money.:)

You don't think it would add to the pressure on them to do it then?

The bus companies have a monopoly on most of the routes they operate.

Therefore they can use monopoly pricing, which means they charge as much as people will pay before too many start walking instead.

Their prices have very little relation to the cost of supplying the service, it's more closely related to the price of any alternative transport.

So as long as it's cheaper for one person to catch the bus into town rather than take a taxi or drive & pay a day's car parking, they're ok.

They'll already be at the point where if they charged much more then fewer people would use the bus & revenue would drop.

If routes become unprofitable, then services will be cut on those routes, rather than prices going up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11690074

A quick calculation from those figures shows that First make over £130,000 profit per year, per bus they operate. They certainly aren't short of a few quid.

They appear to make many times more profit from operating 8500 local buses in the uk than from 60,000 school buses in the USA.

I think the company may well profit by this,one person buys a saver ticket and uses it once gives it to another person who might use it once and then throw it away.Then another passenger pays for a seat which in theory has already been paid for.

no it doesnt............its one person using a ticket at one time..........if somebody uses the said ticket its no difference to them, they DONT notice it, and so dont put up the price

I agree. As I said, it's not a loss of revenue except in the sense that you're sharing your ticket.

All these price increases are nuts. Bus fares are stupidly expensive these days. It cannot possibly cost 1.95 to get from Woodseats to town, even with absorbing other less profitable routes. Stagecoach manage to have much lower fares.

Archived