Problems with virgin media.. advice?

I took out a contract for tv phone an broadband in march 09. I was at the time living with my ex. It was a 12 month min term contract. We split in Oct 09, so obviously i was still contracted at that point. I moved in with my parents and couldn't transfer the services, so me and my ex both rang virgin to get the account switched to his name.

As far as i was aware, all was fine and good. I assumed that in April they would take out the new contract with his name. I have lived at my adress since April 2010 and today i got a letter from a debt recovery service. I called them, and they say i owe virgin £164 from October 2010 to present as i haven't paid for 90 days.

I rang virgin, and they told me the account was never actually transferred as a letter i had to sign was sent to the billing address (which they knew id left) and i didnt send it back.

My ex says it was transferred, as he rang them and they made him take a credit check. He cancelled the services in Oct 2010 due to bad service and joined sky.

I've called virgin back and all they say is it was still and is still in my name so i pay or go to court.

Can anyone advise me of what action to take?

There wouldn't usually be a disconnection charge if you're outside the minimum term. You should get copies of the bills to see exactly what they've charged for and confirmation of the disconnection date.

If Virgin are saying that the account wasn't transferred was your ex actually authorised to deal with the account? If not then he shouldn't have been able to alter the package and there may have been a breach of the Data Protection Act.

How were the payments made after you moved out? Had you given Virgin a forwarding address or any other contact details?

If he's taken a new contract and was authorised to speak to Virgin on the account I would argue that authorisation applies only for the purposes of compliance with the Data Protection Act and does not extend to alterations to the contract/services.

I didnt give them my parents address, but when i moved here in April i did ring them to see if i could get it set up here, but my road isn't cabled. He wasn't officially authorised to use the account no, but he was able to call them and give my name and password for example when the net went down while i was at work, and they would deal with him. After i left i assume he would have been calling them and paying with his card as i was when i was using it.

Archived