Just wondered if anyone lives here?

adds1979

I lived on birdwell road in grimesthorpe until 2 years ago. The houses were built in 1907 and had cellars. The cellar on either side had indeed been opened up so as to move freely between the row of terraces. I suppose it was so as if one end took damage an escape route was available further along, Although it would've kept morale up too by being able to spend the long dark hours with your neighbours.

After the war the routes were bricked up (quite shoddily in our case) whenever I went into our cellar, the scars always made me wonder if walls could talk, what would they be able to tell us.

• 1 month later...
ive just read an article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/39/a4103939.shtml

and it states that during the war the cellars in this area (from Glenalmond Road to Huntingtower Road)were all joined together as an escape route/shelter from dropped bombs.

i just wondered if they are still there?

most terraced houses had adjoining walls opened up whilst the war was on tho they were bricked up some time after the end of the war.my wife tells me some in her street also kept chickens down there in the war to supplement the rationing tho this was before her time she wasnt born til 1950

I used to live in a big Victorian house, one of a block of 4, at Broomhill. One had the roof of the cellar reinforced with huge steel girders, and you could see the bricked up patches where the doorway had been made through to next door's cellar. The old lady who used to live next door to us remembered that in the war all the 4 families would go down there during a raid, and get together to chat, play cards and keep each other company.

I lived at the end of a block of four terraces in Goulder Place and during the war they had doors cut joining all 4 cellars. You were not allowed to lock them as people had to have access to the one cellar that had been reinforced to be used as a shelter. I still remember sleeping near the gas meter.

Archived