5 things that can promote British culture.

I agree with you here, this is indeed true.

I always cringe at those "homecoming parades" that our forces have been doing on returning from Afghanistan; most of the actual soldiers don't like it either, its just not our way.

blimey does that mean 3 of us agree?

tbh i aint somebody that has to shout that im english from the rooftops or wave a flag to prove it either.

its just not me, but inside i am proud to be english, british, yorkshire i just dont need to run round telling everybody

You philistine,what's magnet indeed??:hihi::hihi:

Magnet is John Smiths finest ale.

It's magical qualities can transport you to plains far transcending mere politics and religion.

Ger a few pints down thi neck owd luv...

Was John Smith's finest ale. They stopped making it last year:

Thursday, 21 January 2010

Magnet loses its pulling power

Heineken UK, Dutch owner of Scottish & Newcastle, has announced it will stop production of John Smith's Magnet. "What is John Smith's Magnet?" I hear you cry. The beer is so little seen that most younger beer drinkers have probably never heard of it let alone drunk it. The last time I came across it was in a pub in Southampton in 2005, a long way from Yorkshire.

http://www.beer-pages.com/2010/01/magnet-loses-its-pulling-power.html

1. EU control of British law and borders.

2. The right of a homosexual couple to sleep together in the same bed at a Christian couple's B&B who forbid it on religious grounds.

3. Top British politicians, all public schoolboys, who spent their formative teenage years joining exclusive dining/vandalism clubs (Cameron and Osbourne). Or working as ski instructors in luxury resorts in Austria (Clegg). These experiences helped these people to really connect with the struggles of ordinary British people.

4. Being treated as guilty until proven innocent by the BBC when it comes to informing them that one does not consume their poor quality content.

5. The big three British political poodle parties all being subservient to US foreign and economic interests.

I'd say traditional British culture is summed up (as so many have already said) by:

Our self deprecating humour and lack of pretentiousness

Drinking tea

Having good manners (sadly disappearing :roll:)

Talking about the weather

The NHS

There are many other things that provide shared cultural experiences for many of us, wherever we live in the UK. I think our views probably depend more on our age, and our upbringing and interests than on our geographical location within Britain. But, as the title says British culture I'm adding the pipes and tartan. Those are recognised the world over as from Britain - albeit the Scottish part. ;)

1. EU control of British law and borders.

2. The right of a homosexual couple to sleep together in the same bed at a Christian couple's B&B who forbid it on religious grounds.

3. Top British politicians, all public schoolboys, who spent their formative teenage years joining exclusive dining/vandalism clubs (Cameron and Osbourne). Or working as ski instructors in luxury resorts in Austria (Clegg). These experiences helped these people to really connect with the struggles of ordinary British people.

4. Being treated as guilty until proven innocent by the BBC when it comes to informing them that one does not consume their poor quality content.

5. The big three British political poodle parties all being subservient to US foreign and economic interests.

Those may be a reflection of parts of society today and of your personal viewpoint, but IMO they in no way suggest British culture.

I'll start:

A dry sense of humour.

Self deprecation.

Automatic support for the underdog.

Tidy, well-stocked gardens.

Afternoon tea.

I'd hope people would see us as a respectful, classy tea drinking posh folks. Modern britain isn't like that at all tho.

I find the posh talking jeeves like characters in bakewell very british.

Those may be a reflection of parts of society today and of your personal viewpoint, but IMO they in no way suggest British culture.

With respect, I disagree. The title of this thread concerns five things that CAN promote British culture.

In my opinion the five things that I mentioned are important, such as European Union directives and Human Rights legislation overruling our own, no longer sovereign, parliamentary made laws.

Our culture is being promoted on the world stage by public schoolboys, some of whom once belonged to exclusive (no women, no ethnic minorities) dining clubs at university.

And, of course, the BBC. How this organisation depicts British society and culture shapes how the rest of the world views us.

IMO, my five points have more relevance to modern Britain than yours do.

Archived