5 things that can promote British culture.

This thread is enquiring about five things that can promote British culture. How on earth can talking about the weather, or having a cup of tea (with an optional slice of cake) possibly promote British cultural values?

the weather is an integral part of british culture as is tea and cake

This thread is enquiring about five things that can promote British culture. How on earth can talking about the weather, or having a cup of tea (with an optional slice of cake) possibly promote British cultural values?

The thread title was badly worded, but a quick look at the examples given in the original post will tell you what this thread's supposed to be about.

I think a motif is emerging of....

now here I struggle.

Lots of people would describe an attitude and "typically British" and then flounder when asked to elucidate, I mean what does it mean? What's different about here?

There is a much better film than Cameron's version of The Titanic called A Night To Remember with Kenneth More. There is a truly heart-rending scene when the band realise the game is up, they're probably going to die, and they thank each other formally and depart to the lifeboats. Once they realise they have no chance they quietly and without fuss take up their stances and re-start Nearer My God To Thee. I think that sums it up, and the whole reason the film was made and is still celebrated and re-made (badly, apart from the divine Ms Winslett striding along a flooded corridor with an axe in her hands and wearing a wet nightie, "Put your hands on me Jack!)) is because the British celebrate glorious failure. Titanic, Rourke's Drift, the Light Brigade, Scott.

What was mentioned above about a natural disinclination toward flag-waving and boastful nationalism is spot on I think. Nationalism and jingoism pre-supposes an enemy, patriotism means being quietly content that this obscure little rock off the north west coast of Europe has contributed immensely to the greater good.

I'll start:

A dry sense of humour.

Self deprecation.

Automatic support for the underdog.

Tidy, well-stocked gardens.

Afternoon tea.

curry

binge drinking

chavs

muslim bashing - with politicians and national media leading the way

extremist groups

This is what defines British culture in 2011 although I don't know if these five things promote it or not. It may promote it to some.

Archived