Pictures of Derwent/Howden Dam under construction

They (of course) had no electric power tools then and the cranes look like steam powered jobs. Can't see any safety stops on the track ends!

I have some photos that I took when I walked around the Derwent dam during the drought of '76.

bit of an obsession of mine the derwent and howden dams,so it came as a surprise coming across these rather good pictures on this website, of the dams under construction,I never knew such pictures existed!!!

http://derwentdigitalimaging.co.uk/Damconstruction.aspx

If you have an interest in the dams...The books that you will want to see are.....

'The silent valley'./.'The silent valley revisited'..and..'The silent valley at war'...

by 'Vic Hallam'

Also ...'Memories of tin town'... by Prof.Brian Robinson...... Cheers,,DJ.

Loads of pictures and all you need to know about the building of the dams, and the families that lived there from the start of construction.

just been cycling around there this morning and its an impressive structure

and its always interesting to know how these things were made

It's good biking around there..... in better weather tho' !! ? .......We go beyond the 'Howden Dam'.... and carry on as far as car traffic and the bus can get... then cross over the 'Packhorse bridge' at 'Slippery stones'... then return over the other side... A good day out...

Nice ride and used by a group of us as a training ground in readiness for excursions up into Scotland for a bit more strenuous exertion. Understand the only bit of the village left, that was built there for the workforce, is part of a roof that is on a hairdressers in Bamford.

Nice ride and used by a group of us as a training ground in readiness for excursions up into Scotland for a bit more strenuous exertion. Understand the only bit of the village left, that was built there for the workforce, is part of a roof that is on a hairdressers in Bamford.

Gotcha'... good luck with the training and the trip..../. There is one complete building remaining from 'Tin Town'... you can see it on 'Google street view' down 'Edale road' out of 'Hope' Derbyshire. It is now known as ...'Lisas' health and beauty'....Cheers DJ.

It's good biking around there..... in better weather tho' !! ? .......We go beyond the 'Howden Dam'.... and carry on as far as car traffic and the bus can get... then cross over the 'Packhorse bridge' at 'Slippery stones'... then return over the other side... A good day out...

I used to do this ride often five years or so ago, It was great on a summers evening after a crap day at work, I'd get to slippery stones take off my socks and trainers and have a paddle and a lay down before cycling back to the car at Ashopton viaduct.

Archived