Wild camping and bushcraft

I have always being intrested in joining the royal marine commands i have read loads of books on bushcraft and suvival and i asked my dad if he wanted to come with us wild camping in a forest so i was just wondering what are the laws on knives and other bushcraft tools and the laws on wild camping and where are some good forests :help:

I have always being intrested in joining the royal marine commands i have read loads of books on bushcraft and suvival and i asked my dad if he wanted to come with us wild camping in a forest so i was just wondering what are the laws on knives and other bushcraft tools and the laws on wild camping and where are some good forests :help:

Oh boy, I'm off.

Oh boy, I'm off.

You have neither honour nor courage, fine internet sir.

OP, I once had to do battle with a snake of the most impossible dimensions that you ever seen. Must have been thirty ropes of length.

I tried to fight it with all that i had. At that particular moment, it happened to be, frying pan. Try as I might, bugger would not die.

I ended up braying it one wi' a beer bottle. Then we fried it. Had soddin' snake for breakfast. Did you know snake tastes a lot like bacon?

Put a fried egg on top. Smashin.' Join't marines son, you won't regret it ever.

You have neither honour nor courage, fine internet sir.

OP, I once had to do battle with a snake of the most impossible dimensions that you ever seen. Must have been thirty ropes of length.

I tried to fight it with all that i had. At that particular moment, it happened to be, frying pan. Try as I might, bugger would not die.

I ended up braying it one wi' a beer bottle. Then we fried it. Had soddin' snake for breakfast. Did you know snake tastes a lot like bacon?

Put a fried egg on top. Smashin.' Join't marines son, you won't regret it ever.

You scare me.

• 2 years later...

right, UK knife laws, you're allowed to carry a knife with a cutting edge under 3 inches, the blade MUST NOT lock. that is what you're allowed in public on just a normal day anyway, BUT because you're going camping I'm guessing using tarps for shelters ect a Bushcraft knife would be useful, (this means you are allowed a knife with a fixed blade, of no more than 12 inches) because you're going to have a genuine use for it, you are allowed it out in the wild, but when you're transporting it by train or car ect, or walking through a village MAKE SURE you bury it in the middle of your bag so police can't say you had easy access to the knife, IF the police do stop you in the middle of nowhere(don't see it happening) and find your knife, they will ask you why you are carrying it, be prepared to give them a GOOD reason, eg. something you couldn't do without the knife, if you are looking for a good knife then i'd recommend the "Mora Companion Green Handle - Stainless Steel Camping Fishing Knife" it's only 10 quid and is just perfect to sum it up in one word! search for it on amazon. Now, for somewhere to go and do your wild camping, i'd recommend the lake district, it's amazing, there's villages all over so you can pick up food supplies before setting up shelter for the night! and all the land is open to walkers pretty much, i went last summer and LOVED it! Enjoy.

right, UK knife laws, you're allowed to carry a knife with a cutting edge under 3 inches, the blade MUST NOT lock. that is what you're allowed in public on just a normal day anyway, BUT because you're going camping I'm guessing using tarps for shelters ect a Bushcraft knife would be useful, (this means you are allowed a knife with a fixed blade, of no more than 12 inches) because you're going to have a genuine use for it, you are allowed it out in the wild, but when you're transporting it by train or car ect, or walking through a village MAKE SURE you bury it in the middle of your bag so police can't say you had easy access to the knife, IF the police do stop you in the middle of nowhere(don't see it happening) and find your knife, they will ask you why you are carrying it, be prepared to give them a GOOD reason, eg. something you couldn't do without the knife, if you are looking for a good knife then i'd recommend the "Mora Companion Green Handle - Stainless Steel Camping Fishing Knife" it's only 10 quid and is just perfect to sum it up in one word! search for it on amazon. Now, for somewhere to go and do your wild camping, i'd recommend the lake district, it's amazing, there's villages all over so you can pick up food supplies before setting up shelter for the night! and all the land is open to walkers pretty much, i went last summer and LOVED it! Enjoy.

Probably never survived mate,as he hasnt posted for two years.

Uk knife law.

I've carried a small pocket knife since I was 12. Use it for all the mundane normal things one does with a knife ie cutting string, getting into those infuriating bubble cartons, opening boxes, make do screwdriver etc etc.

Until last year I had a small lock knife with a 2" blade that had done stirling service for 30 years.

Eventually the blade wore out from sharpening and I've replaced it with a 2" blade folding pen knife.

I much prefer a lock knife because without a lock the blade can snap shut on your fingers.

I appreciate the need to keep knives out of the hands of villains but can't understand the ban on a lock blade. Surely if you were to use a knife as a weapon then what difference does it make if the blade locks or not?

Is it the elf n safety brigade who thought it up?

Here the majority of the good old boys carry a 5" trusty Opinel or some the classic Laguiole

Would be interested in peoples comments.

Uk knife law.

I've carried a small pocket knife since I was 12. Use it for all the mundane normal things one does with a knife ie cutting string, getting into those infuriating bubble cartons, opening boxes, make do screwdriver etc etc.

Until last year I had a small lock knife with a 2" blade that had done stirling service for 30 years.

Eventually the blade wore out from sharpening and I've replaced it with a 2" blade folding pen knife.

I much prefer a lock knife because without a lock the blade can snap shut on your fingers.

I appreciate the need to keep knives out of the hands of villains but can't understand the ban on a lock blade. Surely if you were to use a knife as a weapon then what difference does it make if the blade locks or not?

Is it the elf n safety brigade who thought it up?

Here the majority of the good old boys carry a 5" trusty Opinel or some the classic Laguiole

Would be interested in peoples comments.

I carry an Opinel No.7 with me for all the uses you mention and more. Has come in very useful when gutting fish on the beach and camp cooking in general. The blade is three and three sixteenths of an inch, so technically it's illegal, but I'm pretty sure I could talk an overzealous police officer around if the need arose.

I agree with your opinion re locking blades - it makes no odds.

I suppose with the boys in blue it would depend on the circumstances and whether they had filled their target of tickets for the month.

The Opinels are fantastic value and keep a good edge. Do you have the Inox blade?

I have a number 6 which I use when working with the guys errecting our village tent. Also comes in handy for cutting off a nice chunk of Camembert :D

I did find a Laguiole at a booter very reasonably priced, checked the backstrap for the little Bee only to find when I got it home it was made in China Doh....

Archived