Cons back in and another recession looming,when's the music gonna improve?

Well the Conservatives are back in and another economic crises is looming. I've heard people say 'oh well atleast the music should get better'.

I went to see Madness tonight at the Academy for the first time in 30 years, it certainly took me back and got thinking about the silmilarities between then and now.

Below is a list of the charts from Feb 1981 and a list from now.

Imo there isn't a bad tune in the top 20 from back then, with of course the exceptions of Phil Collins and The Quo. Even the St Winifreds Choir have some redeeming qualities compared with much of the guff in todays charts! The only 'artist' I've heard of in today's top 10 chart is Enrique Inglesias, who has a subtly titled little number called - 'Tonight I'm xxxxxxx you'.:o

My question is how bad must things get before the music gets any better???

1980's Top 20 charts

January 1981

UK (US) Song title Artist

1 Imagine -John Lennon

2 Antmusic - Adam & the Ants

3 Happy Xmas (War is over) - John & Yoko & the Plastic Ono Band

4 (Just like) Starting over - John Lennon

5 Stop the cavalry - Jona Lewis

6 Do nothing / Maggie's farm - TheSpecials

7 Flash - Queen

8 De do do do, de da da da - The Police

9 Woman - John Lennon

10 Too nice to talk to - The Beat

11 There's no one quite like grandma - The St.Winifred's School Choir

12 In the air tonight - Phil Collins

13 I am the beat - The Look

14 Rabbit - Chas & Dave

15 Embarrassment - Madness

16 Super trouper - Abba

17 Don't stop the music - Yarbrough & Peoples

18 Lies / Don't drive my car - Status Quo

19 Runaway boys Stray Cats

20 I ain't gonna stand for it - Stevie Wonder

February 2011

Live iTunes Top 101 Jessie J

Price Tag (feat. B.o.B)Listen to a clip of "Price Tag (feat. B.o.B)"

Download "Price Tag (feat. B.o.B)" from iTunes

2 Chipmunk

Champion (feat. Chris Brown)Listen to a clip of "Champion (feat. Chris Brown)"

Download "Champion (feat. Chris Brown)" from iTunes

Explicit

3 Bruno Mars

GrenadeListen to a clip of "Grenade"

Download "Grenade" from iTunes

4 Adele

Rolling In The DeepListen to a clip of "Rolling In The Deep"

Download "Rolling In The Deep" from iTunes

5 Ke$ha

We R Who We RListen to a clip of "We R Who We R"

Download "We R Who We R" from iTunes

6 Chris Brown

Yeah 3XListen to a clip of "Yeah 3X"

Download "Yeah 3X" from iTunes

Explicit

7 Travie McCoy, Kylie Minogue & Taio Cruz

HigherListen to a clip of "Higher"

Download "Higher" from iTunes

8 Jessie J

Do It Like a DudeListen to a clip of "Do It Like a Dude"

Download "Do It Like a Dude" from iTunes

9 Ludacris, Enrique Iglesias & DJ Frank E

Tonight (I'm F****n' You)Listen to a clip of "Tonight (I'm F****n' You)"

Download "Tonight (I'm F****n' You)" from iTunes

Explicit

10 Diddy - Dirty Money & Skylar Grey

Coming Home (feat. Skylar Grey)Listen to a clip of "Coming Home (feat. Skylar Grey)"

Download "Coming Home (feat. Skylar Grey)" from iTunes

Last updated: 1.00 am 07/02/2011

I was saying to my other half yesterday that with all this poverty and struggling, music and art, well all things creative will benefit in a strange way. I too pointed to the punk era etc. Suffering seems to bring out the creative side of people, well to a point, I don't remember Terry Waite painting anything or releasing a song but you get the idea

The only song in the charts in 1980 that could be called a protest song is 'Do nothing / Maggie's farm' - The Specials. Unless De do do do, de da da da by The Police has veiled social comment in it lol.

I think the 1980s were preferable in terms of lots of things (music & television etc), but that was in spite of the Government not because of them.

I wonder if popular music & television will get angry & political again.

No doubt if it does do the usual suspects on here will be droning on about lefties in the media & 'trendy Wendys' trying to politicise our youth etc....

We will be told things are better, even though they might not be, just in time for the General Election. You will also see a electoral bribe with tax cuts I expect.
Lets hope they don't have to borrow money to give electoral bribes and tax cuts like Labour did!

Lets hope they don't have to borrow money to give electoral bribes and tax cuts like Labour did!

They wont be able to anything because often the lib dums disagree with the tories on too many policies, so i for one dont think this government will help anyone

The only song in the charts in 1980 that could be called a protest song is 'Do nothing / Maggie's farm' - The Specials. Unless De do do do, de da da da by The Police has veiled social comment in it lol.

I think the 1980s were preferable in terms of lots of things (music & television etc), but that was in spite of the Government not because of them.

I wonder if popular music & television will get angry & political again.

No doubt if it does do the usual suspects on here will be droning on about lefties in the media & 'trendy Wendys' trying to politicise our youth etc....

Yep Maggies Farm was the only protest song in the charts at this time on the other side of Do Nothing. The Two-Tone bands though did have several protest songs between 'em in their brief reign back in the day, like The Beat's Stand down Margaret and finally The Specials seminal Ghost Town.

UB40 and The Jam were very active politically with many others back in those bleak days.

Where are the spokespeople for this generation?

Maybe McFly will do a song about the lost bonuses of the Bankers?:hihi:

Archived