What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

What would you charge your son for a bed for 4 nights (Mon- Thurs) and 3 evening meals and 1 teabag per day. No packing up, no washing or ironing literally just a bed for 4 nights and 3 evening meals. Only using the house to spend 12 hours in (sleeping) and 12 hours at work so not using much electric or gas either? Is £20 too much? I think its too much, after all I don't think its right to make money on your kids is it?

Any views on this?

It's not really making money on your kids is it, as you are not taking their cash in order to fund your own personal gain.

Once they reach a certain age and have a job, then it's time they started to take responsibility for their lives, without relying on hand outs. The money they pay for board is money they are contributing to the house as a whole, and ensures that they are getting something back from the money they pay.

From the set up, it seems that the kid is getting a hell of a lot for their £20, (assuming this is weekly) as meals would easily come to half that total for 3-4 nights, washing, ironing, and all cleaning up done for them?

Hell, for £20 a week, when can I move in?

Bed and meals for 4 days every week for £20? Won't get any better than that! From the sounds of your post you are the person who is getting charged board, I suggest you go rent a house, pay all the bills, pay for your own food and see how much you'll complain about £20 then ;)

I dont charge my kids any board, but then I have a good job and my kids are both at uni so a different situation. They both work part time and both are looking to move into their own places once uni is finished, so money saved will go towards that, but I think everyones situation is different.

Who buys the toiletries?-shampoo, soap, toothpaste, deodrant are all expensive.

wouldnt ask for anything. I agree with not making money on your kids. yes, I know there are those who would say they should pay their way. I dont agree with that. My son is 19, at uni and has worked in the past partime. We didnt take a penny from him. he is out there getting a degree, has student loans and will be paying enough when he is out in the world on his own. I would give my son my last penny. But then again we do have a very good son. doesnt do drugs, doesnt smoke, drinks yes, but not in excess, and is at uni working hard (we know this as he gets distinctions on his assignments). We also have a daughter and when the time comes we wont ask her for board either.

my opinion, it works for us.

I dont work, my husband does. Our house is OUR house. the family home. why should our children pay to live there. its their home.

What would you charge your son for a bed for 4 nights (Mon- Thurs) and 3 evening meals and 1 teabag per day. No packing up, no washing or ironing literally just a bed for 4 nights and 3 evening meals. Only using the house to spend 12 hours in (sleeping) and 12 hours at work so not using much electric or gas either? Is £20 too much? I think its too much, after all I don't think its right to make money on your kids is it?

Any views on this?

£20.00 is a very fair price for 4 nights board ! Its not about making money off your kids its teaching you that everything has to be paid for in life and that you have to contribute to the household.

Archived