What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

wouldnt ask for anything. I agree with not making money on your kids. yes, I know there are those who would say they should pay their way. I dont agree with that. My son is 19, at uni and has worked in the past partime. We didnt take a penny from him. he is out there getting a degree, has student loans and will be paying enough when he is out in the world on his own. I would give my son my last penny. But then again we do have a very good son. doesnt do drugs, doesnt smoke, drinks yes, but not in excess, and is at uni working hard (we know this as he gets distinctions on his assignments). We also have a daughter and when the time comes we wont ask her for board either.

my opinion, it works for us.

I dont work, my husband does. Our house is OUR house. the family home. why should our children pay to live there. its their home.

As you say, it works for you. Unfortunately most people have to learn the lesson of being able to afford and fend for yourself, not to go through life not working and getting everything paid for by other people.

If theyre coming home for a visit, I wouldnt be charging them anything. Id be glad they wanted to come home - even if it was just to crash.

I could understand if they were full grown adults earning enough income to support themselves and living at home full time, but just for 4 nights? C'mon. If my parents did that to me, Id look around elsewhere. Id know when Im not wanted.

If theyre coming home for a visit, I wouldnt be charging them anything. Id be glad they wanted to come home - even if it was just to crash.

I could understand if they were full grown adults earning enough income to support themselves and living at home full time, but just for 4 nights? C'mon. If my parents did that to me, Id look around elsewhere. Id know when Im not wanted.

I know the OP doesn't state but I think it means 4 nights every week. As in living there for over half of the week.

If they do mean just a 4 day visit then I agree its a bit harsh.

wouldnt ask for anything. I agree with not making money on your kids. yes, I know there are those who would say they should pay their way I dont agree with that .... I dont work, my husband does. Our house is OUR house. the family home. why should our children pay to live there. its their home.
So there's only one person actually bringing in any money at your house? Has anyone asked your wage slave how he feels about it? :)

Working adult kids should pay towards living costs. That can vary between making a proper contribution like you would if you were house sharing, to only paying for the extra it actually costs your parents to feed you. Depends on how much you earn as well. But they should contribute something, if they aren't earning, doing chores maybe?

But would you be able to find somewhere else for £20?

By not asking them to pay board you aren’t doing them any favours ….. in the long run the real world is going to smack them in the face …….. no mummy and daddy with deep pockets then.

I went with my son to the bank when he arranged a loan to buy his first car, the woman in the bank made a list of expenses to evaluate his suitability for a loan and asked him if he paid rent or board.

He said £100 and she said "what per week"?, you should have seen her face when he said per month. :hihi:

Archived