What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

But would you be able to find somewhere else for £20?

No, but thats not the point of staying at home when visiting, now is it? Its be familiar. If I couldnt afford it, Id either ask to crash at a mates or couch surf or just not come home.

If its because Im living there part time and can afford the rent, then no its not too much to ask

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. It does show that we have entirely different views, doesn't it?

I personally don't charge my son any board, he pays this at his fathers house, but, thats me, thats how I was brought up whereas my husband and ex had to pay their way.

Thanks again guys!

If your son is earning a wage then he should be paying for his share of the running of the house. When he leaves home he will be in for such a big shock!

Well like I said previously, I think its personal choice. I didnt do a bad job with my daughter, at 19 she bought her house and now has a baby, mortgage and all her bills to sort and has a p/t job which she manages very well.

She didnt pay board. As for my son I just thought it was a bit harsh as he doesnt use anything in the house only a bed and has 3 meals......

Whats the exact circumstances? Why is he there 4 days a week only?

If he's working away the other 3 nights thats tough, he should be charged for the week.

If he lives with you 4 days and with the other parent then they are out of order charging him anything because his main residence is with you as he spends most time there.

If he lives with a partner for the other 3 nights and contributes toward their bills then tough, charge him for the week, if he keeps coming home then he should pay his way.

I was never asked to pay "board" by my parents and I have no intention of making my own children pay, the whole concept is ridiculous. If they want to make a contribution when they are working etc fair enough but I would not make them pay.

If you want them to pay dont have them in the first place.

Archived