What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

If you want them to pay dont have them in the first place.

Rediculous comment.

It's not about making them pay. It's about bringing them up with a healthy respect for what money and convenience means.

Far too often kids are brought up expecting everything to be given to them, and to have it handed to them on a plate. A small contribution to a family pot is not going to kill them, but it will give them a respect for what they spend their money on, in the knowing that they will one day have to pay significantly more to maintain their own lifestyle and living costs of house(s), car(s), kid(s), etc.

Charging them extortionate amounts is of course parents decision, but in my experience, and that of all of my friends, living rent free does not help, as a respect for what real life costs doesn't come.

A small service charge is beneficial in my opinion as they get this respect and can also begin to factor in costs of things that they might otherwise spend frivolously on.

I had to pay 20 a week, that was for my room, and bills. I had to buy my own food though, do everyones washing and ironing, and make the sure the house was clean (pots washed, hoovered etc) :)
That was harsh! Did you have two ugly sisters, as well? ;)

It all depends on what the adult child is earning and their age, imo. If they're under 21 and on minimum wage and you can afford to do it, just enough to cover their food. If they're earning a £1000 a week, I'd expect them to pay for everything and give me pocket money!

just goes to show that younger people havnt got a clue what things cost, food,electric,gas,council tax,mortgage/rent

as soon as they are asked to contribute they think they are being hard done by think of all the years they have had it for free, as soon as i was old enough i paid board

when i was 18 back in 2001 living at home i used to pay £50 a week and for that i got a room.... use of the shower, washing machine, fridge etc. i had to buy cook and prepare my own food, at the time i was working approx 12 hour shifts 5 days a week and only really slept there.

i felt it to be reasonable then

just goes to show that younger people havnt got a clue what things cost, food,electric,gas,council tax,mortgage/rent

as soon as they are asked to contribute they think they are being hard done by think of all the years they have had it for free, as soon as i was old enough i paid board

It's not the son that's moaning in this case, though. It's his mother. She thinks the father is being mean to charge the son anything to live in his home, because she doesn't charge him anything when he stays at hers. I think that's a fair summary?

It's not the son that's moaning in this case, though. It's his mother. She thinks the father is being mean to charge the son anything to live in his home, because she doesn't charge him anything when he stays at hers. I think that's a fair summary?

oh right i didnt realise, nope i think the father is spot on, if the son is old enough to work he is old enough to pay his way in the world, i think he is getting it cheap tbh

personaly i would charge £200 a month and bank it take £20 a week for yourself and bank the rest of the money on your sons behalf and when he wants to move out he knows the life ie paying rent and that this is a learning cerve and with the banked money you can give it him back giving him a start in life which many parents should do help there children to apresheate life of today and learn how hard it can be,

by having a larg amount of money saved up he could

1 put a deposit and a months rent down

2 put a deposit on a morgage even better start in life there

3 gives some funds for son if he needs it and in desperate need

4 pay for a car if he dont have one or pay in full on insurance making it cheeper that he pays on the insurnace.

there is many possabilitys that he can do just by you helping him save up i know when my dad has helped me save money its been a god send to have the funds there when i need it.

and at the same time they learn the life of today

this is coming from a 26 year old lived in my own flat on my own for 9 years and never been in rent default always paid my council tax and all bills paid I have my own car fully tax tested and insured and still put extra away.

I think that would be better idea and at the same time you get your little bit of support you do the maths

£200 pm - £20 = £180pm x 12 = £2160 x 5 years = £10,800 to him

£80 pm x 12 = £960 a year for you thats a HOLIDAY !!!

I think your son will apresheate the lessions on life as ive seen many go form a loving home of a common family not a well up bringing go to there own home and find it is hard life better learning know than finding out when its to late.

thanks for reading

What would you charge your son for a bed for 4 nights (Mon- Thurs) and 3 evening meals and 1 teabag per day. No packing up, no washing or ironing literally just a bed for 4 nights and 3 evening meals. Only using the house to spend 12 hours in (sleeping) and 12 hours at work so not using much electric or gas either? Is £20 too much? I think its too much, after all I don't think its right to make money on your kids is it?

Any views on this?

Perhaps the mother and father need to be singing from the same song sheet.

That was harsh! Did you have two ugly sisters, as well? ;)

It all depends on what the adult child is earning and their age, imo. If they're under 21 and on minimum wage and you can afford to do it, just enough to cover their food. If they're earning a £1000 a week, I'd expect them to pay for everything and give me pocket money!

:hihi: Nah, just 1 ugly sister :D

I wasnt 'earning' at the time, I was single mother on benefits. So, it sounds harsh but what was I really doing most of the day? Not alot, just watching TV and playing with toys. At the time (3yrs ago) I was getting around 130/weekly, then an additional 25/week CSA payments. However now, i'm working part time, have my own house, with my OH and well.. it did help me along in life that when I got my own place i'd have to cook/clean etc AND pay lots more than 20quid a week in bills! It also taught me that if I wanted anything I had to manage my money, can I afford those lovely curtains or are we out of bread/milk? My older ugly sister was too in my situation when I was younger, partner left her holding the baby and what not and she wasnt charged board at all... she lives in her own house now and those lovely curtains come before bread/milk.

So in theory, charge them board and make them realise that the big wide world isnt so cushty as they'd like to think.

Archived