What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

£200 pm - £20 = £180pm x 12 = £2160 x 5 years = £10,800 to him

£80 pm x 12 = £960 a year for you thats a HOLIDAY !!!

Not meaning to be picky but shouldn't it be

£200pm - £80 = £120 pm x 12 = £1,440 x 5 years = £7,200.

:)

Still a nice amount though :)

Taking board from your children is not showing them what real life is about. Just because they are 18+ and going through what is the best part of their life, a time they will look back on as they get older thats how it should be. Taking board is not a garantee that they will not get into debt later on. I did pay board even though my parents did not need the money, looking back now l think they were scrooges.

Rediculous comment.

It's not about making them pay. It's about bringing them up with a healthy respect for what money and convenience means.

Far too often kids are brought up expecting everything to be given to them, and to have it handed to them on a plate. A small contribution to a family pot is not going to kill them, but it will give them a respect for what they spend their money on, in the knowing that they will one day have to pay significantly more to maintain their own lifestyle and living costs of house(s), car(s), kid(s), etc.

Charging them extortionate amounts is of course parents decision, but in my experience, and that of all of my friends, living rent free does not help, as a respect for what real life costs doesn't come.

A small service charge is beneficial in my opinion as they get this respect and can also begin to factor in costs of things that they might otherwise spend frivolously on.

Totally wrong on so many levels, as I said I did not pay board to my parents and I have had no problems whatsoever with paying bills, knowing my responsibilities etc etc.

They know they will have to pay once they flee the nest but before that let them enjoy their first earnings, cant believe the tight fisted people on here exploiting thier own kids.

I cannot be totally wrong, as what I've posted is my opinion. Much the same as your post is your opinion, and I think you are wrong. However, in that case your parents obviously instilled the right values in to you.

There are though plenty of other "charity" kids that think that money does grow on trees and a small tenancy charge will only be a good thing for them.

They know they will have to pay once they flee the nest but before that let them enjoy their first earnings, cant believe the tight fisted people on here exploiting thier own kids.

There is always one isn’t there :roll:, I suppose asking them to wash the car is slave labour or giving them a lecture now and then is a sign of being a Nazi ……. any more clichés while we are at it.

Totally wrong on so many levels, as I said I did not pay board to my parents and I have had no problems whatsoever with paying bills, knowing my responsibilities etc etc.

How is asking them to contribute to the running of the house when they are earning exploitation?

Archived