What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

just goes to show that younger people havnt got a clue what things cost, food,electric,gas,council tax,mortgage/rent

as soon as they are asked to contribute they think they are being hard done by think of all the years they have had it for free, as soon as i was old enough i paid board

Spot on there. As soon as I was working part time while I was at college I paid board to my mum as when we were kids after my mum and dad split up my mum brought up me and my sister and paying board was my way of thanking her for everything she had done over the years and was a good learning curve about taking responsibility.

No, not at all but taking money off them is.
So what if the parent is disabled and unable to work but the child earns a decent wage - for our purposes lets say more than £300 per week. Would it be right for the child to live gratis at the expense of a disabled parent?

Totally wrong on so many levels, as I said I did not pay board to my parents and I have had no problems whatsoever with paying bills, knowing my responsibilities etc etc.

They know they will have to pay once they flee the nest but before that let them enjoy their first earnings, cant believe the tight fisted people on here exploiting thier own kids.

My mum was not tight fisted and I was not expolited, I was happy to pay board, I felt it was my way of showing my appreciation to her for juggling work and being a single mother to me and my sister and still making sure we did not want for anything and learnt how to be responsible young adults.

I started paying Board as soon as I started work just over 20 years ago. I paid £250 per month and got my food and bus fares back. Considering I was earning about £650 per month (not bad for a 16/17 year old) I thought it was totally fair.

My mum was not tight fisted and I was not expolited, I was happy to pay board, I felt it was my way of showing my appreciation to her for juggling work and being a single mother to me and my sister and still making sure we did not want for anything and learnt how to be responsible young adults.

If you bother to read my original post I stated that if people wanted to pay (as you appear to) then fair enough.

So what if the parent is disabled and unable to work but the child earns a decent wage - for our purposes lets say more than £300 per week. Would it be right for the child to live gratis at the expense of a disabled parent?

Then that is a totally different situation to what the thread is about.

...They know they will have to pay once they flee the nest but before that let them enjoy their first earnings, cant believe the tight fisted people on here exploiting thier own kids.
But what if they never leave home, or leave home and then come back when they're in their 30s or 40s or more? What if they were in a good job and you were on pension by then? Would you still think it was exploitation and who would be exploiting whom then?

Totally wrong on so many levels, as I said I did not pay board to my parents and I have had no problems whatsoever with paying bills, knowing my responsibilities etc etc.

They know they will have to pay once they flee the nest but before that let them enjoy their first earnings, cant believe the tight fisted people on here exploiting thier own kids.

My bold

:hihi:

Sorry, but the idea that teaching children that they have responsibilities in life, and are not entitled to a free ride, can be classed as "exploiting" just makes me laugh!

You're obviously lucky enough to have been brought up in a family where money wasn't a problem - and it obviously isn't now, either. Not everybody is fortunate enough to be in that position and a contribution for board might be a necessity, not a luxury.

Archived