What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

My bold

:hihi:

Sorry, but the idea that teaching children that they have responsibilities in life, and are not entitled to a free ride, can be classed as "exploiting" just makes me laugh!

You're obviously lucky enough to have been brought up in a family where money wasn't a problem - and it obviously isn't now, either. Not everybody is fortunate enough to be in that position and a contribution for board might be a necessity, not a luxury.

Well said dozy.

I think it all depends on the circumstances, every scenario being different. Up until a year ago, my daughter paid £100 per month. She had all her meals at home, and slept at home every night. She is very extravagant with everything, and eats a lot!

However, for the last year, she has paid nothing, as she has bought her own house, and has been spending a lot of money on it, so we let her off with paying any board.

She has a really good well-paid job, probably earning as much as her Dad and me put together, so if she hadn't been doing her house up, she would definately been paying towards the bills etc, and I don't think £100 per month is excessive.

My bold

:hihi:

Sorry, but the idea that teaching children that they have responsibilities in life, and are not entitled to a free ride, can be classed as "exploiting" just makes me laugh!

You're obviously lucky enough to have been brought up in a family where money wasn't a problem - and it obviously isn't now, either. Not everybody is fortunate enough to be in that position and a contribution for board might be a necessity, not a luxury.

I was bought up in a two up two down where money was a massive problem but my parents still never took it off their children, I have an average to reasonable salary and will never charge my children a penny in "board" but I will make sure they know the value of things as I did.

Taking money off children teaches them nothing, teaching them values and responsibilities learns them all they need to know.

All you naysayers on here carry on taking to your hearts content but I for one will not be joining you.

Tight gits!!!

Other than a few reasoned posts by a couple of posters, this is what makes sense...

my mum asked for 20% of my take home pay.

i felt i was getting a bargain

The amount of board isn't really significant. People are throwing figures about... but this post by oldskater makes more sense to me (not so much the actual percentage, but the idea of percentage).

As danny11 rightly points out here...

Depends how much he is making

It depends on how much he's making yes.

I understand you not wanting to "make money" from him - but you're not. You're not even covering what he uses. It's a good habit to get into...my dad charged me £25 a week in 1990 out of my £75 wages and I was livid. I was so glad he did though because when I got my own place I understood the value of it.

A friend of mine used to take £35 off her son. £20 for board - but she put the other £15 a week in a bank account for him but didn' t tell him. He bought a car after a year.

I wanted to pay board ……….. sort of a passage from school to adult live ……… ah well it takes all sorts as they say.

Yes can see your point, but if you live at home you are still living to your parents rules, and thats not right either.

It depends on how much he's making yes.

I understand you not wanting to "make money" from him - but you're not. You're not even covering what he uses. It's a good habit to get into...my dad charged me £25 a week in 1990 out of my £75 wages and I was livid. I was so glad he did though because when I got my own place I understood the value of it.

A friend of mine used to take £35 off her son. £20 for board - but she put the other £15 a week in a bank account for him but didn' t tell him. He bought a car after a year.

Rubbish, let the young enjoy their meagre earnings and spend them on themselves, I've had my youth i'll let my son enjoy his without having to pay me.

Archived