What is an acceptable amount of board to pay?

Rubbish, let the young enjoy their meagre earnings and spend them on themselves, I've had my youth i'll let my son enjoy his without having to pay me.
I would agree with you to a point, but when do you say no? I had a very good job which kept us all happy for a long time. Any time one of my three boys needed a handout it was there. But I've been retired a long time, and must survive on my pensions and what is still in the bank. Two of my sons, the oldest and middle, couldn't be bothered with college, and are always broke. The youngest went to college. He and his wife both graduated the same day, he wih a BA, she with a BSC. He has earned is Master's since. They earn good money, while the other two go on about college kids and the like. For a long time they would call me with their latest emergency, a thousand here, 500 there. Till I told them there would be no more. I hear very little from them since, which suits me fine. Mike, the youngest comes around with his two beautiful daughters and invites us out for dinner a lot. You have to set limits early or you can have a generation of problems.

• 1 month later...

We are talking about adults here who are working, they need to get some lessons in the real world. If they don;t learn they need to pay they're own way now they are going to have a big shock in later life when there is no-one there to bale them out

Archived