Labour Govt 'Aided Lockerbie Bomber Release'

How do you feel about this?

The Labour government developed a policy to do "all it could" to ensure the Lockerbie bomber's release from a Scottish prison.

The country's cop civil servant has made the admission in new documents just released by the Cabinet Office.

Sir Gus O'Donnell conducted a review into the process leading to the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.

He was allowed to return to Libya on compassionate grounds in August 2009.

In an accompanying summary, Cabinet Secretary Sir Gus concludes: "Policy was, therefore, progressively developed that Her Majesty's Government should do all it could, while respecting devolved competencies, to facilitate an appeal by the Libyans to the Scottish government for Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi's release under the Prisoner Transfer Agreement (PTA) or for release on compassionate grounds.

"Such an approach was understood across all relevant departments."

In 2009 Gordon Brown said

Mr Brown did not directly refer to the suggestion the Libyans had been told he did not want to see Megrahi die in a UK prison.

But he said: "I respect the right of Scottish ministers to make the decision, and the decision.

"But on our part here was no conspiracy, no cover-up, no double dealing, no deal on oil, no attempt to instruct Scottish ministers, no private assurances by me to [Libyan leader] Colonel Gaddafi."

He said the release of Megrahi was a matter for the Scottish government.

Mr Brown also said: "Our interest throughout has been to strengthen the coalition against international terrorism. I made it clear that for us there was never a linkage between any other issue and the Scottish government's own decision about Megrahi's future."

"there was no evidence of UK pressure on the Holyrood government."

"They confirm that Scottish ministers followed the due process of Scots law and practice throughout the entire period, without regard to foreign policy, economic or any other considerations," the Scottish government said"

I assume it relates to their personal view, rather than any pressure that was actually put on Scottish Ministers. However for me the whole thing stinks. While they are entitled to their view and it doesn't seem any pressure was put on Scotland, I have a sneaky suspicion that their view was based on future oil deals.

Are we surprised? Labour dealt with the IRA's mass murderers by releasing some and giving others seats in Parliament.

Are you referring specifically to The Good Friday agreement? The one that brought (relative) peace to NI?

Finest thing John Major ever did beginning that process.

Your link, tony also contains the telling comment...A record of a phone conversation between Mr Straw and Kenny MacAskill, Scottish Justice Secretary, in November 2007 reads: "Jack Straw explained that Libya had made it clear that if Al-Megrahi is named specifically on the PTA then the BP contract will not be signed.

Confirming lobbying by BP, a further telegraph blog - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100074278/lockerbie-and-bp-revelations-will-shake-us-uk-relationship/ - suggests prince andrew was in on the action!

I don't see this as a political issue but rather as one confirming the growing superiority of global corporations in geo-politics.

Archived