Who would you save?

This question came up last night at a dinner party and I thought it would be a good one for you Forummers.

If you could only save 1 person, and had to choose between your spouse or your child, which would you save? And why?

Apparently, 95% of people would save their child.

Apparently, 95% of people would save their child.

You can replace a spouse several times, but a child...

Perhaps the second question should have been "Would you throw your spouse back into the blazing house..." or whatever situation it was...

Neither. I would rather sacrifice myself rather than live without my spouse or child.

That might not be an available option.

A chap last year (or the year before? I lose track of time) was faced with the impossible dilemma, when his car ended up in a river with both his children inside it. He had to decide which one to take out first, knowing full well that he couldn't possibly take both at once and also knowing that he more than likely wouldn't get back in time to save the other. (He didn't; the other child drowned.)

No matter how much he would have given up his own life to save both children, that shot just wasn't on the board.

That might not be an available option.

A chap last year (or the year before? I lose track of time) was faced with the impossible dilemma, when his car ended up in a river with both his children inside it. He had to decide which one to take out first, knowing full well that he couldn't possibly take both at once and also knowing that he more than likely wouldn't get back in time to save the other. (He didn't; the other child drowned.)

No matter how much he would have given up his own life to save both children, that shot just wasn't on the board.

I remember, that was hard to comprehend even sat where I was! Very hard! :sad:

Archived