Are the US behind Assange extradition?

Possibly. In many ways I'd have to say "hopefully". That is afterall why they were leaked.

Also don't forget, it was downloaded because his concience could not allow what he percieved as illegal or morally questionable practices by those same armed services.

Why not? I'm sure if you were accused of such a crime you'd want the best possible defence.

I don't see why defending yourself suddenly makes you a drama queen, or why the cost of his barristers is in any way relevant.

Manning should have resigned from the military if he felt that way. When you swear allegience to the flag and the republic it is unconditional, The only exception to this is when an order is given that is without question illegal in the sense that it violates the conduct of war as in the Mai Lai massacre in Vietnam in which case the soldier has a right to refuse the order and refer the matter to his superiors. Manning had some grievances about the army and I think that's what motivated him despire all his rhetoric about what he perceived as "illegal or morally questionable" He's not a lawyer or an expert on such matters and therefore not for him to pass judgement. He'll never stand a chance at his court martial if he uses that as a defense.

If he'd a grain of common sense he would have resigned from the army and taken up his cause as he saw fit in a civilian capacity.

Unlikely, if anything the notoriety this has created could potentially make him a very wealthy man indeed!

No it wont. He may get some acclaim from those on the far political left but that's all and it will certainly never make more than a pittance if that.

Americans are basically very patriotic people and expect their military personnel to act in accordance with the oaths of allegience they took when signing up.

Manning will just disappear into the mists of time and be remembered by those who knew him as a "<removed>" Just as lieutenant Calley of the Mai Lai massacre ended up.

You dont know the soldier's code, but I do.

You dont think he should face the firing squad Harley ?

He would have if this had happened in a declared war such as WW2. Acts of treason are considered on a par with spying and espionage.

But no he wont. He'll get a few years in the stockade and a dishonourable discharge and end up bussing tables in some fast food outlet.

Manning will just disappear into the mists of time and be remembered by those who knew him as a "<PREMEDITATED REMOVAL OF MASKED SWEARING>"

Others who don't know him (including many, many non-Americans) that are not so blinkered, may view him as a true democrat, who was persecuted for releasing the truth behind the lies behind which the US military hide. To some Americans, he's already become something of an anti-hero already.

No dodo Sherlock:rolleyes:

I know (the GF's daughter's boyfriend is going back to Afghanistan for a third tour).

Because of the leaks? Probably none. Because we're involved in a war? Possibly many more than need to:(.

What makes you the big expert ? You have some source of inside information the rest of us dont know about ?

Manning should have resigned from the military if he felt that way. When you swear allegience to the flag and the republic it is unconditional, The only exception to this is when an order is given that is without question illegal in the sense that it violates the conduct of war as in the Mai Lai massacre in Vietnam in which case the soldier has a right to refuse the order and refer the matter to his superiors.

I'm being pedantic Harley but didn't Lt Calley swear allegience to the flag.

Archived