Is The Word `Aint` Naughty?

I'd say 'aint' was a regression rather than an evolution. IIRC all classes used it during the Regency, for example, and it gradually fell into disuse in this country being replaced with 'isn't'. This is why a lot of Americans say 'aint', they've retained a lot of the old usages of the English language. As indeed have we Northern English.

One thing I do find puzzling is why do Sheffield teens use 'innit' when we already had the perfectly usable 'intit'? :huh:

My bold

Good grief, Ruby, you can remember even further back than moi! :hihi:

Because 'innit' comes from US rap culture and is therefore hard and cool.

'Intit' comes from Yorkshire old man culture and is therefore (as the kids'll see it) uncool.

I have never, ever heard the word 'innit' being used by a US rapper and I know for a fact that word isn't used in the US.

It's purely a Cockney saying innit.

I think it's similar to aught and shan't - both old words which have fallen from common use.

ooh i use those! does that make me posh (or strange!!)

op....i dont like "aint" and would correct my children on it! i rate it up there with: dont wanna, not gonna and prolly :)

I suppose I have to bear in mind here that my three kids were born in Leicestershire and that, to me at any rate, makes them damn southerners. They certainly have the accent and use words such as "The" and pronounce their Haitches... They even say "Graaaaaaarse" instead of "Grass."

My Yorkshire ancestors must be turning in their graves.

I suppose I have to bear in mind here that my three kids were born in Leicestershire and that, to me at any rate, makes them damn southerners. They certainly have the accent and use words such as "The" and pronounce their Haitches... They even say "Graaaaaaarse" instead of "Grass."

My Yorkshire ancestors must be turning in their graves.

suppose they take barths as well

Archived